PDA

View Full Version : Steve Jobs - Thoughts On Adobe Flash

smiley
04-29-2010, 05:39 PM
i found it interesting..and kind of true

Steve Jobs Answers Adobe Flash (http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/)

KRM
04-29-2010, 05:44 PM
lol @ Steve Jobs wanting open standards when he locks all his own shit down.

dizmo
04-29-2010, 05:49 PM
not an apple boy but that was spot on.

Aišo
04-29-2010, 05:52 PM
Make sense to me.

smiley
04-29-2010, 05:53 PM
of course Jobs will spin it somewhat....but much of what he says isnt that far off

Aišo
04-29-2010, 05:56 PM
I stopped using Flash when Adobe bought it from Macromedia. It was neat once, just kind of pointless now. I have FLV on my sites, maybe I should look into how to do HTML5 video

Cleo
04-29-2010, 06:05 PM
I remember back in the nineties when Apple said the floppy was dead and released the iMac with no floppy drive.

Flash is dead or at least will be soon.

Facebook just this week announced they were switching to html5.

MP
04-29-2010, 06:36 PM
What a fucking dick head.

Alienq
04-29-2010, 07:40 PM
I couldnt have said it better.

I have long disliked flash, I have long disliked having to buy Flash Suit every 2 months, I hated how intensive flash is on a system. Infact there was never one thing I liked about flash. Ever.

His statements regarding .H264 are spot on.

Well said Steve Jobs!

artwilliams
04-29-2010, 08:53 PM
Open standards when it serves Apple needs. LOL

KRM
04-29-2010, 09:26 PM
HTML5 is nice but it's not ready for prime time yet. Adobe Flash 10.1 has greatly increased it's effectiveness. The GPU acceleration really does a great job of taking strain of the CPU. If you think that Steve Jobs is working for anything more than money and control you're a fool. He's a brilliant man that has put out some great stuff. But he's a self serving asshole all the same.

Cleo
04-29-2010, 10:08 PM
Some interesting html5 demos on this page (http://html5demos.com/).

Aišo
04-29-2010, 10:59 PM
Why is Microsoft so far off the reservation? So basically for video you have to make two videos mp4 and ogv and it picks whichever one the browser supports?

smiley
04-29-2010, 11:45 PM
HTML5 is nice but it's not ready for prime time yet. Adobe Flash 10.1 has greatly increased it's effectiveness. The GPU acceleration really does a great job of taking strain of the CPU. If you think that Steve Jobs is working for anything more than money and control you're a fool. He's a brilliant man that has put out some great stuff. But he's a self serving asshole all the same.

Aren't they all thou....Gates, Jobs.....basically any CEO of these type companies :lol1:

dgchi
04-29-2010, 11:47 PM
Flash is coming out for Android this month, it is going to be awesome

Aišo
04-30-2010, 12:03 AM
Flash is coming out for Android this month, it is going to be awesome

Ya good luck with that...
"Adobe publicly said that Flash would ship on a smartphone in early 2009, then the second half of 2009, then the first half of 2010, and now they say the second half of 2010. We think it will eventually ship, but we’re glad we didn’t hold our breath. Who knows how it will perform?"

Mr. Goat
04-30-2010, 12:12 AM
Ya good luck with that...
"Adobe publicly said that Flash would ship on a smartphone in early 2009, then the second half of 2009, then the first half of 2010, and now they say the second half of 2010. We think it will eventually ship, but we’re glad we didn’t hold our breath. Who knows how it will perform?"

when its obsolete it will ship!

Cleo
04-30-2010, 12:17 AM
Adobe bought GoLive, ruined it and then killed it. Kind of looks like they are doing the same thing with Flash.

Toby
04-30-2010, 12:22 AM
If iPhones were Flash capable dozens, if not hundreds, of Apps in Apple's App Store would no longer be needed since essentially the same thing could be accessed via web browser.

There's your motivation for not implementing Flash, it's all about money, just like it always is whether it's Apple or Microsoft or Adobe or whoever.

dgchi
04-30-2010, 01:20 AM
Flash is part of the Android 2.2 update that is due in a couple of weeks, this time is for real

Peedy
04-30-2010, 01:33 AM
I found his view pretty spon on. Standards are preferred. Flash was once needed because it was sort of a bridge because HTML couldn't do the things it could....however HTML5 solves much of that...so the need of the bridge is much less.

Jim_Gunn
04-30-2010, 03:24 AM
I don't use Apple products. But I found Jobs' comments to be pretty pursuasive. I am probably getting an Android phone soon. Hopefully the Flash integration Andorid has or Windows mobile phones has will display Flash well. Then if HTML 5 takes over, the transition will be easy since HTML developers and Flash developers will work out the bugs in both for mobile devices.

Aišo
04-30-2010, 05:58 AM
Adobe bought GoLive, ruined it and then killed it. Kind of looks like they are doing the same thing with Flash.

They also bought Flash, and ruined it as well. Flash was originally the watered down version of Director. Director, before it died, did 100x's more than flash does now. It has it's own programming language called Lingo. Adobe bought Macromedia, killed Director, and is now fucking up Flash.

Cleo
04-30-2010, 10:50 AM
Microsoft mostly sides with Apple in HTML5 fight (http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/04/30/ms.likes.html5.but.still.sees.flash.as.important/)

Microsoft late Thursday said it largely sided with Apple in the dispute over Flash. The Windows developer's General Manager for Internet Explorer, Dean Hachamovitch, argued that HTML5 was the future of the web and cited the same problems with Flash mentioned by Apple's Steve Jobs. "Reliability, security, and performance" are all issues with Adobe's plugin, Hachamovitch said.
He added that Internet Explorer 9 will support HTML5 from the outset and will only support H.264, the same video format Apple recognizes for its own implementation. Its role as a widespread standard is important as video recorded from a camcorder or another device can be put on the web and played without having to switch codecs, the Microsoft executive said. H.264 is also hardware-accelerated on both Apple and Microsoft devices.

Mozilla and many open-source advocates have been trying to promote Ogg Theora as the default HTML5 video standard, but it has relatively little support outside of Firefox.

Hachamovitch wasn't as hostile towards Flash as Jobs and said the plugin "remains an important part" of the web as it is today. However, he didn't expect Adobe's technology to remain in that position forever.

"The future of the web is HTML5," he said.

smiley
04-30-2010, 10:54 AM
Microsoft mostly sides with Apple in HTML5 fight (http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/04/30/ms.likes.html5.but.still.sees.flash.as.important/)

Ouch...:lol1:

Peedy
04-30-2010, 03:57 PM
They also bought Flash, and ruined it as well. Flash was originally the watered down version of Director. Director, before it died, did 100x's more than flash does now. It has it's own programming language called Lingo. Adobe bought Macromedia, killed Director, and is now fucking up Flash.

Damn I remember learning Director in high school....loved that shit! Yeah seems like Adobe is a confused mess these days.

Peedy
04-30-2010, 03:58 PM

Unusual ally thats for sure...but its good to see Microsoft standing up for standards.

artwilliams
04-30-2010, 05:54 PM

As a 64 bit Linux user, I know what what a bitch Flash can be. Given that both Apple and MS are late converts to open standards (and only when it serves their needs) you have to wonder if their true motive is to screw Adobe. Do a Google search on "XML Microsoft Open Office" and you'll see that MS's only interest is itself.

smiley
04-30-2010, 06:07 PM
As a 64 bit Linux user, I know what what a bitch Flash can be. Given that both Apple and MS are late converts to open standards (and only when it serves their needs) you have to wonder if their true motive is to screw Adobe. Do a Google search on "XML Microsoft Open Office" and you'll see that MS's only interest is itself.

yeah, i believe that both Apple & MS will always look out for their best interests...kind of surprised to see MS actually (sort of) support what Jobs was saying...should be interesting how this plays out

Alienq
04-30-2010, 06:11 PM

Thats the bombshell right there.

Big boom. FLash is done for.

Aišo
04-30-2010, 06:13 PM

IE has never followed standards, should be interesting to see this play out. As it stands now HTML 5 doesn't really work on any version of IE (maybe 1 or 2 things), and everyday people don't always upgrade, mostly they don't.

SCORE-Ralph
04-30-2010, 06:26 PM
A web well-spun, is a well-spun web.

DamianJ
04-30-2010, 06:38 PM
HTML5 is nice but it's not ready for prime time yet.

Because?

Adobe Flash 10.1 has greatly increased it's effectiveness. The GPU acceleration really does a great job of taking strain of the CPU.

Where is the GPU in the iPhone? Which is what he is talking about.

Cleo
04-30-2010, 06:58 PM
Where is the GPU in just about anything except some versions of Windows?

KRM
04-30-2010, 07:37 PM
Because?
Well for one it's not even a finished standard yet. Sure it's functional right now. But the final standard isn't projected to get ratified by the WC3 til 2012. Plus on the developers end the tools for HTML5 just aren't nearly as effective as flash development tools. I'm sure they will eventually get there but they are not there right now.

THe iphone 3gs uses a PowerVR SGX gpu which for a phone is freaking awesome. It could handle flash without any problems. I know flash has been quite a resource whore in the past but adobe has done some great stuff. Not enough yet. But they are getting there.

Fact of the matter is Steve Jobs is an egomaniac that thinks everybody else is stupid. Who cares if you've paid a premium for your ipad/iphone/mac you're to use it the way he intended so shut up about it. Guess i'm just the kind of guy that thinks if you've bought hardware you should be able to use it how you want. Sure flash might not run optimally on the iphone/ipad but people should be given the option. h.264 built into the iphone/ipad so it's always going to be the optimal choice to go with html5. But that doesn't mean that it's right for everything. Steve Jobs would never give up control though as it would cut hugely into his profits. Sorry just not a fan of closed standards.

Damn i've written way to much and feel like a nerd now. Time to go pick out what i'm going to have for dinner. I hope they have a nice meat selection since i'm going a little late.

Aišo
04-30-2010, 07:39 PM
blah blah blah I'm a big nerd.

:turbo:

Cleo
04-30-2010, 08:06 PM
Guess i'm just the kind of guy that thinks if you've bought hardware you should be able to use it how you want. Sure flash might not run optimally on the iphone/ipad but people should be given the option. h.264 built into the iphone/ipad so it's always going to be the optimal choice to go with html5. But that doesn't mean that it's right for everything. Steve Jobs would never give up control though as it would cut hugely into his profits. Sorry just not a fan of closed standards.
Buy an iPhone, jailbreak it, install Flash and enjoy your 20 minutes of battery power.

KRM
04-30-2010, 08:50 PM
Buy an iPhone, jailbreak it, install Flash and enjoy your 20 minutes of battery power.

I'd jailbreak but I don't want apple labeling me a terrorist. As far as battery power goes 20 minutes isn't much more than an apple in the first place. Battery is actually what has me most excited about iphone 4. Sure they can't put a big battery like the ipad but the battery technology they have used for that thing is light years ahead of the old iphone batteries. I hope they can make the next iphone go a full day without having to be recharged. I don't mind having to plug my phone in every night but to have to during the day just sucks. Oh and Steve for the love of god please get off the ATT network it's been the bain of my existence for the last 10 years.

ShiftyEyedBstrd
04-30-2010, 09:07 PM
lol, that's funny considering even the fucking power plugs to most of apples shit is proprietary. It's funny that Apple the "rebels" are worse than MS these days.

Aišo
04-30-2010, 09:11 PM
Oh and Steve for the love of god please get off the ATT network it's been the bain of my existence for the last 10 years.

AMEN! Still hoping for the Verizon announcement this year sometime.

dgchi
04-30-2010, 10:34 PM
the battery life on the Droid is excellent, I watch youtube, stream audio, surf etc etc etc all day and the battery lasts me all day

artwilliams
05-01-2010, 12:06 PM
There is much more to this story than I thought:

http://www.osnews.com/story/23233/Jobs_Patent_Pool_Being_Assembled_To_Go_After_Theor a

The "open standard" that Apple and Microsoft want is in fact based on patented technology. Open source Theora which Google wants to use will soon be squashed by Jobs and his patent holding buddies.

dgchi
05-01-2010, 04:48 PM
There is much more to this story than I thought:

http://www.osnews.com/story/23233/Jobs_Patent_Pool_Being_Assembled_To_Go_After_Theor a

The "open standard" that Apple and Microsoft want is in fact based on patented technology. Open source Theora which Google wants to use will soon be squashed by Jobs and his patent holding buddies.

...good reason enough to not buy iphones

smiley
05-01-2010, 05:02 PM
AMEN! Still hoping for the Verizon announcement this year sometime.

i talked with verizon last week..my BBTour trackball took a shit on me and i was complaining about the phone suckins and that if they dont do something ill leave Verizon and go to ATT...the girl told me that the plan is by the end of the year Verizon will have the iPhone

Cleo
05-01-2010, 06:09 PM
...good reason enough to not buy iphones
Good enough reason not to buy an Android phone (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/05/01/android_users_not_upgrading_their_os_to_the_latest _version.html)

Unlike the rapidly deployed updates Apple posts for the iPhone OS through iTunes, Android users are unlikely (and often unable) to apply the latest updates to their phones, according to new information published by Google and its AdMob subsidiary.

As is the case with most other alternative smartphone platforms, Android users appear to often remain stuck with the firmware version their phone shipped with originally. This is primarily due to fragmentation problems that require the hardware maker, software platform vendor, and the mobile provider to work together to create and deliver custom updates for each model.

According to Android OS ad traffic figures published by AdMob, there was an initial migration from Android 1.5 "Cupcake" to 1.6 "Donut" last fall, followed by another shift to Android 2.x "Eclair" during the holiday season. But rather than being the result of user's software upgrade cycles, it appears that the shifts were largely the result of new hardware being sold with the new version already installed on it.

"In November 2009, Android 2.0 (Eclair) gained momentum with the launch of the Motorola Droid," AdMob reports, adding that "The Motorola Droid continues to generate the vast majority of requests of Android 2.0/2.1."

In March, AdMob pointed out that the ad traffic it was monitoring remained "divided relatively evenly between the three primary versions of the OS: Android 1.5 (38%), Android 2.0 / 2.1 (35%) and Android 1.6 (26%)."

The reason for that is that users of earlier models in many cases simply can't upgrade because there's no easy to install update for their phone. Many Android phone models do not get the latest operating system updates for months after the official update is completed, due to delays by the provider or hardware maker, either of which may want or need to address layers of customization they've made to the generic Android distribution.

:turbo:

dgchi
05-01-2010, 06:45 PM
that is just negative irrelevance, I installed 2.1 on my phone very easily the day it was released, and I expect to do the same with 2.1 and Flash very soon too

just because there are people still using version 2.0 of wordpress doesn't say anything about whether you should go out and install version 2.9 because it requires clicking a few links :turbo:

Aišo
05-01-2010, 07:40 PM
iPhone FTW!

Cleo
05-01-2010, 09:02 PM
that is just negative irrelevance, I installed 2.1 on my phone very easily the day it was released, and I expect to do the same with 2.1 and Flash very soon too

just because there are people still using version 2.0 of wordpress doesn't say anything about whether you should go out and install version 2.9 because it requires clicking a few links :turbo:
Yeah but you are a geek and enjoy messing with software and hardware. On the other hand I just want to use my devices without having to mess with shit or read the manual.

Buy iPhone, plug into iTunes, and you are ready to go with all your email accounts, SMTP settings, contacts, appointments, photo albums, music with playlists, movies, applications, and everything else without having to mess with any settings on the phone or computer. Plus everything is automatically updated whenever the iPhone is plugged back into the USB port to charge.

My iPhone just works. When I get the new model that is coming out in a few months all I have to do is plug it into iTunes and everything will be automatically transferred to my new iPhone without me having to do anything.

To be honest I don't really care about Flash and actually have it blocked by default on my laptop using ClickToFlash (http://clicktoflash.com/).

But if I really need to view something that is in Flash from my iPhone I can by using VNC (http://www.mochasoft.dk/iphone_vnc.htm) on my iPhone and logging into one of my home computers although I've yet to have ever actually needed to access something in Flash by doing this.

Plus my iPhone is so kewl that I can even pickup straight chicks with it. :giggle:

Peedy
05-01-2010, 09:13 PM
Yeah but you are a geek and enjoy messing with software and hardware. On the other hand I just want to use my devices without having to mess with shit or read the manual.

Buy iPhone, plug into iTunes, and you are ready to go with all your email accounts, SMTP settings, contacts, appointments, photo albums, music with playlists, movies, applications, and everything else without having to mess with any settings on the phone or computer. Plus everything is automatically updated whenever the iPhone is plugged back into the USB port to charge.

My iPhone just works. When I get the new model that is coming out in a few months all I have to do is plug it into iTunes and everything will be automatically transferred to my new iPhone without me having to do anything.

This is exactly what people lose sight of. We are not the majority. My Mom could care less about the tech stuff, she just wants and easy to use phone that works, doesn't crash, etc. Just as in another recent thread about Linux....yeah tell my mom, oh you need to run a windows vm to use quicken. That is why Linux doesn't make it on the desktop and why Apple devices do so well. Their end to end ecosystem whether you like it or not the majority does because its the best experience out there.

ShiftyEyedBstrd
05-02-2010, 02:49 AM
nah, your mom would just use gnucash and get it over with, lol.

I also seriously doubt she is installing her own operating system regardless of what it is, and if she has the ability to do that, she would have the ability to install a VM.

Not everything has to cater to the lowest common denominator.

Also itunes is the biggest piece of shit I have ever had the displeasure of working with. Make a playlist of everyfucking thing, which creates a duplicate copy on your HD? No thanks. Just give me a mp3 player that works as a hard drive, and I'll copy paste it over.

Cleo
05-02-2010, 11:53 AM
The plot thickens (http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/04/adobe-flash-jobs/)...

Carlos Icaza and Walter Luh, former Adobe mobile engineers, said they were raising flags at Adobe in 2007 about the same complaints that Jobs detailed Thursday.

“Walter and I, being the lead architects for Flash Lite, we were seeing the iPhone touch devices coming out, and we kept saying ‘Hey, this is coming along,’” Icaza said in a phone interview. “You have this white elephant that everybody ignored. Half the [Adobe] mobile business unit was carrying iPhones, and yet the management team wasn’t doing anything about it.”

Icaza and Luh have a vested interest in this dispute: After leaving Adobe, they launched a startup, Ansca Mobile, which produces a cross-platform solution called Corona that competes with Flash.

They said they left Adobe because executives did not take the iPhone seriously when Apple announced the touchscreen device in 2007. Instead, Adobe focused on feature phones (cellphones with lightweight web features, not smartphones) and invested in development of Flash Lite to play Flash videos on such devices. Subsequently, Adobe shut down the mobile business unit in 2007, and has suffered from a brain drain in the mobility space ever since, Icaza and Luh said.

Read More http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/04/adobe-flash-jobs/#ixzz0mmfYCaPY

Aišo
05-02-2010, 05:39 PM
Also itunes is the biggest piece of shit I have ever had the displeasure of working with. Make a playlist of everyfucking thing, which creates a duplicate copy on your HD? No thanks. Just give me a mp3 player that works as a hard drive, and I'll copy paste it over.

Or... you could learn how to use one of the simplest easy to use programs out there. Don't blame iTunes for the fact you don't know how to use it.

dgchi
05-02-2010, 06:37 PM
I agree with Shifty, I was going to buy a song from itunes a while back, then when I realized how bloated and selfish their software was I passed on it, like Shifty said, how hard is it to use folders and a web based interface and a little dragging and copy pasting, screw the whole apple itunes wanting me to install their bloatware on my system, never going to happen

Aišo
05-02-2010, 07:34 PM
I agree with Shifty, I was going to buy a song from itunes a while back, then when I realized how bloated and selfish their software was I passed on it, like Shifty said, how hard is it to use folders and a web based interface and a little dragging and copy pasting, screw the whole apple itunes wanting me to install their bloatware on my system, never going to happen

Well, iTunes was made for Macs, which have no problem handling it. If your system can't handle something as simple as iTunes maybe it's time for an upgrade.

ShiftyEyedBstrd
05-02-2010, 07:42 PM
Or... you could learn how to use one of the simplest easy to use programs out there. Don't blame iTunes for the fact you don't know how to use it.

oh, I understand how to use it. It's just retarded that you can't just copy folders over to a mac product as if it was a glorified hard drive (which it is).

Sometimes I don't want to set up a playlist surrounding shit, I just want to listen to it and delete it (eg podcasts, radio shows, books, etc).

I've seen it run on macs as well, still bloated as hell.

To each their own. I'm just saying. There is a difference between ease of use, and being dumbed down. I don't need steve job to tell me what I may feel like listening to based on my previous choices, I don't need to be sold new shit. I just want to listen to the shit that I have..........in mobile form.

Cleo
05-02-2010, 09:13 PM
I read his post and thought the same thing.

Nothing gets duplicated when you make a play list. You can make folders, playlists or just play from you whole library.

I've used iTunes since before Apple bought the program and renamed it iTunes. It just keeps on getting better and better.

Peedy
05-03-2010, 01:01 AM
oh, I understand how to use it. It's just retarded that you can't just copy folders over to a mac product as if it was a glorified hard drive (which it is).

Sometimes I don't want to set up a playlist surrounding shit, I just want to listen to it and delete it (eg podcasts, radio shows, books, etc).

I've seen it run on macs as well, still bloated as hell.

To each their own. I'm just saying. There is a difference between ease of use, and being dumbed down. I don't need steve job to tell me what I may feel like listening to based on my previous choices, I don't need to be sold new shit. I just want to listen to the shit that I have..........in mobile form.

So basically just because the software doesn't do what YOU want it sucks. Meanwhile 80% of the world is just dandy with iTunes.

Aišo
05-03-2010, 01:06 AM
So basically just because the software doesn't do what YOU want it sucks. Meanwhile 80% of the world is just dandy with iTunes.

Actually it does, he just doesn't know how to change the preferences.

ShiftyEyedBstrd
05-03-2010, 02:39 AM
Didn't put that much time into it, lol. Though I'm flattered that you guys care so much.

ShiftyEyedBstrd
05-03-2010, 02:39 AM

much like your assessment of Linux. Correct.

ShiftyEyedBstrd
05-03-2010, 03:02 AM
I read his post and thought the same thing.

Nothing gets duplicated when you make a play list. You can make folders, playlists or just play from you whole library.

I've used iTunes since before Apple bought the program and renamed it iTunes. It just keeps on getting better and better.

was just kind of a rant, lol. I don't own an ipod. I was going to purchase one, then after having played around with a family members I changed my mind.

Granted this was probably at least 2.5-3 years ago, so I'm sure itunes has come more up to par now. It took all the music I had from different devices when I created the playlist, created a second copy of it (yes, even files) and put it into the itunes directory. Could have been an issue with their windows version, who knows, meh.

I didn't care to learn, as I had no need for their features. It's like having to install Nero in order to make a quick copy of a cd. Yeah, there are lots of great bells and whistles, If I need to author a blue ray disk.......but not really something I need to be forced into using, and taking up space on my system if not necessary.

Anyway, lol, thread went way off topic :)

Peedy
05-03-2010, 03:06 AM
yeah ok, lets base our opinions on a 3 year old version of itunes. FAIL.

ShiftyEyedBstrd
05-03-2010, 03:20 AM
yeah ok, lets base our opinions on a 3 year old version of itunes. FAIL.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

The point of the thread was Jobs saying anything regarding things that should be open source, and the stranglehold they keep on their hardware/software, which made it ludicrous.

The point of HAVING to use Itunes, no matter what version, when it was unnecessary was the point of this. Ya know.....to make points that have any semblance of being on topic often require actually reading, and following along, with the thread in which you are taking part.

Aišo
05-03-2010, 03:49 AM
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

The point of the thread was Jobs saying anything regarding things that should be open source, and the stranglehold they keep on their hardware/software, which made it ludicrous.

The point of HAVING to use Itunes, no matter what version, when it was unnecessary was the point of this. Ya know.....to make points that have any semblance of being on topic often require actually reading, and following along, with the thread in which you are taking part.

http://www.apple.com/opensource/

RaVagE
05-03-2010, 01:12 PM
I laugh at all of them: Jobs, M$ and Adobe.

Jobs' is a hypocrite about open source because he locks down all of Apple's stuff.

M$ is a joke because they can't even stick to regular CSS and web development rules for IE.

Adobe is blind in the fact that Flash playback is demand heavy and has been exploited before.

In anycase, HTML5 is still a ways off from becoming a factor. The web browsers (outside of Chrome and Safari 3.1), cannot play HTML5 video. Until all the browsers can play it natively, it won't break through.

For the most part, I've positioned Adult Rental as a future HTML5 ready site as all our video is being converted into h.264.

Aišo
05-03-2010, 03:18 PM

Jobs' is a hypocrite about open source because he locks down all of Apple's stuff..

ShiftyEyedBstrd
05-03-2010, 07:14 PM

Isn't that a requirement of basing your system off of Unix? I could be wrong.

Aišo
05-03-2010, 07:53 PM
Isn't that a requirement of basing your system off of Unix? I could be wrong.

Apple has been pro open source since way before OS X

Alienq
05-03-2010, 08:05 PM

Jobs' is a hypocrite about open source because he locks down all of Apple's stuff.

M$ is a joke because they can't even stick to regular CSS and web development rules for IE.

Adobe is blind in the fact that Flash playback is demand heavy and has been exploited before.

In anycase, HTML5 is still a ways off from becoming a factor. The web browsers (outside of Chrome and Safari 3.1), cannot play HTML5 video. Until all the browsers can play it natively, it won't break through.

For the most part, I've positioned Adult Rental as a future HTML5 ready site as all our video is being converted into h.264.

So sad in so many ways.
The guys you mentioned changed the entire world with thier minds and made fortunes enough to create new countries. They basically can piss on a billion dollars and not be at any loss.

Yet.... What have you done again?

I dunno man, I am just tired of people being so negative about the way things are and yet they attempt to posture themselves above it all... It's kinda really dumb to read such things, but then again this sort of thing always makes me laugh.

dgchi
05-03-2010, 09:07 PM
So sad in so many ways.
The guys you mentioned changed the entire world with thier minds and made fortunes enough to create new countries. They basically can piss on a billion dollars and not be at any loss.

Yet.... What have you done again?

I dunno man, I am just tired of people being so negative about the way things are and yet they attempt to posture themselves above it all... It's kinda really dumb to read such things, but then again this sort of thing always makes me laugh.

it is sad and I agree with you ialien

I still appreciate the people that contribute their programming skills and time to the noble causes of opensource projects, there are so many brilliant computer programmers donating their time to make software better for everyone for free, that is why we should push for these standards that are still closer to the open source side of things

Jobs and Apple are big disappointments, but they aren't the only ones

Cleo
05-03-2010, 09:52 PM
I just think Apple sucks less than the alternatives.

Aišo
05-03-2010, 10:04 PM
it is sad and I agree with you ialien

I still appreciate the people that contribute their programming skills and time to the noble causes of opensource projects, there are so many brilliant computer programmers donating their time to make software better for everyone for free, that is why we should push for these standards that are still closer to the open source side of things

Jobs and Apple are big disappointments, but they aren't the only ones

$5 Submissions
05-04-2010, 06:16 AM
The irony. It's all about control. I think this all plays into Android's (open) hands :)

artwilliams
05-19-2010, 05:33 PM
BREAKING: Google Opens VP8 Codec, Enables it on YouTube

http://www.osnews.com/story/23322/BREAKING_Google_Opens_VP8_Codec_Enables_it_on_YouT ube

Okay, the plot gets really thick with this link above. A lot of people have complained the MS / Apple "open standard" uses patented technology. Since Chromium (the Google OS) is open source, Google has decided to give its codec offering away for free and make the source available too. MPEG-LA the holder of the MPEG patent will likely sue (Google) anyway, IMHO. Either way Flash is finished. It is only a matter of time.

Peedy
05-20-2010, 02:41 AM
Doesn't matter if the most popular platforms don't adopt it. Time will tell.