PDA

View Full Version : anyone else run their dedicated with no control panel?

dgchi
02-19-2010, 02:25 AM
I'm thinking of taking the plunge

anyone else here run their dedicated server with no control panel?

Mr. Goat
02-19-2010, 02:41 AM
Thats kind of the point so you dont have to worry about that shit and do it all..

:what:

dgchi
02-19-2010, 02:50 AM
Thats kind of the point so you dont have to worry about that shit and do it all..

:what:

sure, but if you do it yourself and not rely on a control panel, you feel you have more understanding and control of everything, and possibly a little bit faster and hack proof set up

A.J. Angel
02-19-2010, 03:37 AM
No. I have cPanel set up which is offered for free by my hosting provider. Honestly, I like it that way because there are things that I could do quicker (setting up databases or cron jobs) than submitting a ticket and wait for it to be done before continuing whatever I wanted to do which may be time consuming especially if you add the lost minutes up.

facialfreak
02-19-2010, 06:04 AM
To give you a proper answer, we need to know ...Is your server fully-managed, semi-managed, or self-managed?

If fully, or maybe even semi-managed, the use of a control panel is not going to be as much of an issue, but if the server is self-managed -- unless you have a very good understanding of Linux/FreeBSD, server security, and networking -- having a control panel (be it cPanel/WHM, Directadmin, H-Sphere, or Plesk is a matter of personal preference really ...) is going to make simple/standard tasks much easier and will - for the most part - save alot of time. I cannot speak for everybody, but my time is money.

To paraphrase ...... sure you will have bragging rights if you are able to code your websites by hand, in NOTEPAD ... but having a copy of Dreamweaver handy is going to make your life so much easier!!

To the inexperienced, managing your own server may not seem to be overly involved, but the first time you have a major DDOS or security breach, you may change your thinking.

Sure you will save a few bucks monthly by managing your own server, but if you rely on your online efforts as a source of income, and you are not extremely comfortable in Linux/Unix, then it will probably save you money in the long run to allow professional server administrators manage your server for you.

the Shemp
02-19-2010, 08:11 AM

anyone else here run their dedicated server with no control panel?

my host does everything for me...

ed_banger
02-19-2010, 09:18 AM
I manage my servers by hand.

Right now, I've got a FreeBSD 7.2 box running apache, and an Ubuntu 8.04 LTS box doing my MySQL. And another Ubuntu 8.04 box running Zimbra for my Mail.

I use EditDNS.net for my DNS services.

I have a DNS template set up at EditDNS.net so I simply need to add the domain, and it creates my records for me and points *.domain.com to my IP addresses on the freeBSD box, mail.domain.com and an MX record to my Zimbra box.

I can register a domain, and be installing wordpress in under 5 minutes. On my Apache box, I clone a domain template, edit it with the domain info, then create the domain folder, and restart apache. Next I edit my custom "update.sh" script with the new domain, and run that, which clones my "master" wordpress folder to my blogs (I can update all 100+ of my blogs by uploading the updated files to the master folder, and running a single script).

Using MySQL Administrator client, I create a new database and a new DB user, and grant database permissions.

By now, (5 minutes after registration) DNS is configured at Godaddy, EditDNS is resolving the domain, Apache serves the domain, wordpress exists in the folder, and the database is online. So I can run the wordpress install. :)

Also, by running apache and mysql and mail services on separate physical boxes, I can host more domains on a single physical box than you can with a CPanel or DirectAdmin control panel. The ONLY control panel that lets you have your web, mail, mysql, dns, service on separate physical boxes and all managed by a single control panel, is H-SPhere.

PMC
02-19-2010, 10:00 AM
do you know how to run a server?

Panky
02-19-2010, 10:39 AM

If you know what you are doing, then go for it. If you only know bits and pieces, then I wouldn't fly solo, especially without a control panel. If you are looking to save a few bucks and don't yet have strong skills, it's just simply not worth it. It will end up costing you more in the end.

There are things on my server I know how to do myself and I don't mind doing them. I don't have patience to wait for things to be done when I can easily do them myself. There are also things that I know are way beyond my knowledge and skill level. For those things, I'm more than happy to step back and let someone else take over. There's also the peace of mind too just knowing someone else is watching out.

As for control panels, one just needs to become familiar with the one they have. Many tasks can be handled through a control panel without ever having to submit a ticket, email, or contact support online and then wait.

MMemmer
02-19-2010, 11:17 AM
Its all about;

Ease of use, CP's like Cpanel offer a graphical interface vs command line prompts
Simplicity, CP's allow many clients to do some tasks themselves vs waiting for the host to perform the work for themselves

Most Systems Administrators that I know prefer to work from the command line.

dgchi
02-19-2010, 08:11 PM
Its all about;

Ease of use, CP's like Cpanel offer a graphical interface vs command line prompts
Simplicity, CP's allow many clients to do some tasks themselves vs waiting for the host to perform the work for themselves

Most Systems Administrators that I know prefer to work from the command line.

I'm really liking working from the command line, it's not an issue of money, it is more for the challenge and control

grzepa
02-23-2010, 07:13 PM
I have cpanel, and have to say its easier this way.