PDA

View Full Version : Algae/Potatoes to be used for non oil based plastics/fuel

Boonestoons
12-21-2009, 10:39 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/expat/expatnews/6857230/Potatoes-and-algae-may-replace-oil-in-plastics.html

Talking about alternate fuel sources.
Algae is the most important life form on Earth. Without it we'd all suffocate.

If memory serves algae produces 70% of all oxygen on the planet.

However algae can be harnessed for other purposes. Same as potatoes and the hemp plant.

Always good to see new technologies and alternate options to the grip of the petroleum conglomerates.

PurrsianPussyKat
12-21-2009, 10:43 PM
They are putting an algae processing plant in not to far from where I live. I love it! I can't wait until we are off the oil tit!

dgchi
12-21-2009, 11:19 PM
do they do something special to make more grow, or are they harvesting the algae that is there already?

MrJD
12-22-2009, 12:04 AM
do they do something special to make more grow, or are they harvesting the algae that is there already?

algae grows at an INSANE rate I don't think there would be a shortage in even the distant future

PMC
12-22-2009, 01:10 AM
That means potatoes will be going up in price

Aišo
12-22-2009, 01:13 AM
Ya, but how will it taste with a little Ketchup (or catsup for those others out there).

mikesinner
12-22-2009, 02:10 AM
Big oil will never let it happen.

яochard
12-22-2009, 02:29 AM
I'm concerned about water. While a huge percentage of the planet is covered by it, we can't drink most of it. Here in California they are fighting over water. The water wars are coming.

DonovanTrent
12-22-2009, 02:39 AM
Potatoes, great. Let's move from corn (something the entire world eats, which only gets more expensive when a big bunch of it is used for fuel production) to potatoes (something the entire world eats, etc.).

No, we can't use switchgrass or any of the other non-ingestible frickin' WEEDS that grow just that fast, like weeds. No, go for food. Potato growers' lobby?

Algae is fine, though. Algae is just a nuisance. A useful nuisance, but a nuisance nonetheless.

Boonestoons
12-22-2009, 07:36 AM
They are putting an algae processing plant in not to far from where I live. I love it! I can't wait until we are off the oil tit!

Awesome!

If you get the chance visit the facility and get to know the engineers. Could be a great way to find out what's going to happen in the industry later.

Boonestoons
12-22-2009, 07:38 AM
algae grows at an INSANE rate I don't think there would be a shortage in even the distant future

You're right there!

Algae holds life on Earth together as we know it.

Combine algae and the power of hemp plants and you have fuel, medicines, plastics etc. in a major abundance.

The revolution is on.

PurrsianPussyKat
12-22-2009, 07:55 AM
Potatoes, great. Let's move from corn (something the entire world eats, which only gets more expensive when a big bunch of it is used for fuel production) to potatoes (something the entire world eats, etc.).

No, we can't use switchgrass or any of the other non-ingestible frickin' WEEDS that grow just that fast, like weeds. No, go for food. Potato growers' lobby?

Algae is fine, though. Algae is just a nuisance. A useful nuisance, but a nuisance nonetheless.

Switchgrass is another thing that's catching on around here. One of the schools put in a furnace so they can burn switchgrass to heat the entire school.

We have lots of farmers here in PA, so they are always looking for something new to plant to make more money.