PDA

View Full Version : Will Verisign announce a price increase for domain name regs this year?

Head Boy
08-23-2009, 04:14 PM
Following the successful extortion against ICANN, Verisign was given permission to increase reg fees by 7% in four of the six years in each term of their agreement. As they have to give six months notice, it looks as if it will be late next year that it will hit us. Hopefully a stronger CEO than Twomey will stand up to Verign when he is replaced, and perhaps we could even see some price reductions when the Verisign agreement comes up for renewal. :)

the Shemp
08-24-2009, 05:36 AM
maybe i should renew a couple of domains now...

Head Boy
08-24-2009, 07:18 AM
Well Google seems to look kindly on names with over a year before expiry, so that's an added bonus. :)

the Shemp
08-24-2009, 03:30 PM
Well Google seems to look kindly on names with over a year before expiry, so that's an added bonus. :)

ive heard that before, has it ever been verifed ?

Head Boy
08-24-2009, 03:37 PM
I'm not sure much is ever verified about Google, and when it is Google seems to change it's policy. :)

Google does seem to think that domain names that have been around for a number of years (and haven't been deleted), and also have a year or two to go before expiry, belong to sites with more permanence, and thus are more important. I believe that Google became an ICANN authorised registrar so that it could access the supplementary registration records that are only available to registrars.

HeavyDuty
08-24-2009, 07:59 PM
Not to Verisign's defense but their Registry-Level fee paid to ICANN increased to $1,000,000 per month in July '08. It started out at $500,000 and has incremented since the inception of the contract.

Their contract expires in Nov 2012 so I would guess they'd raise pricing ASAP to collect the max allowed before the contract expires.

Head Boy
08-24-2009, 08:28 PM
They were only allowed increases of up to 7% in 4 of their 6 years. I suspect everybody thought they would hit the first 4 years to get the max. I think the shaky economy and the fact that Twomey is going has led them to skip this year. What do you think? - a price rise in September/October of next year?

HeavyDuty
08-24-2009, 11:25 PM
Since this years required notification period is out of reach I think they'll certainly raise it next year. To grab every dollar they can in the event the Registry-Level contract isn't renewed.

We'll know come March (or sooner). :)

I can't say I've heard many (any) valid complaints about their Registry services. So I expect them to keep a portion if not all of the com/net Registry-Level contract.

I do think it's probably not a good idea for one entity to hold the entire com/net contract. Things happen, you know? Seems like a 2 or 3 way split would be safer in respect to global economy.

"maybe i should renew a couple of domains now..."
They're not going to go down in price, that's for sure Shemp. You can renew for up to 10 yrs to beat future price increases. Granted it's not a ton of money on 1 domain name, but the peace of mind it provides also has value in respect to your ongoing developed online businesses.

Toker
08-27-2009, 10:52 AM
maybe i should renew a couple of domains now...

PM me how many D's you have and if you want to move & renew them all to Moniker I can give you someone to contact that will do you some good.
You'll pay less than the reg fee now also..
By the way Moniker is one of the Best Registras on the web!

PS, Remember when Domains were FREE??
And BW was $20.00 a Gig!
:iough:

Toker
08-27-2009, 11:17 AM
By the way anyone interested here's ICANN's Blog and link to sign
up for their Newsletter.
http://blog.icann.org/
http://www.icann.org/en/newsletter/