PDA

View Full Version : Designer Babies - Good idea or Bad?

AbulletAway
03-03-2009, 03:20 PM
Just watched a little segment on the news. Some doctor is offering to more or less customize some features of your next child. You can choose eye color, sex, and I believe hair color. It's legal in the US, not in Canada and some other countries.

So, do you have a problem with that? If you could have your next child genetically coded to have green eyes, a tan and not be fat, would you?

MP
03-03-2009, 03:23 PM
Sure would.

PurrsianPussyKat
03-03-2009, 03:24 PM
Why not? As long as it doesn't cause them to die by the time they are 32 or develop some weird cancer, I'm all for it.

AbulletAway
03-03-2009, 03:27 PM
http://www.nbclosangeles.com/health/women/Make-Way-for-Designer-Babies.html there's a video on the story on this page.

PurrsianPussyKat
03-03-2009, 03:29 PM
It's a brave new world! :)

AriGold
03-03-2009, 04:22 PM
I think disabling the fat gene would be awesome!!! I mean, seriously, we dont live in caves anymore, and we dont need the extra fat stores to get us through the winter, so switching off the gene would be great. It would also lighten the burden on our medical systems by eliminating obesity based diseases.

Mr. Goat
03-03-2009, 04:27 PM
I don't like the idea of being able to select eye colors and hair color and sex etc.... I do like the idea of being able to deal with some issues such as obesity, but then again its just a slippery slope and where do you stop!

Its amazing what can be done but people will be trying to produce the next grea tbasketball player giving birth to a 220 lbs 7 foot 1 boy, just seems stupid to have that ability and very scary also.

Tim
03-04-2009, 09:36 AM
I thought you could a lot of that including what sex it will be, according to what the pregant woman eats