PDA

View Full Version : Facebook turns 5 -- but can it survive?

MP
02-05-2009, 08:56 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/02/04/facebook.anniversary/index.html

A good read

StuartD
02-05-2009, 09:42 PM
Indeed, in the FastCompany article that the MySpace guys did, they went on and on about how the social networking thing was all well and nice but not what they want to focus on... because it's not long term.

Instead, what they want to be is a "social portal" where they do the albums, movies, products and so forth... I'm sure we've all seen movies and such being promoted via a myspace.com address.

They realized this potential threat quite some time ago and rather than focus on having friends, they've really stepped it up in terms of "products".

That being said, I really don't think that Facebook has a lot to fear. Even if they don't change, their income might drop but they'd certainly never go under on account of it. The question is, will they change... and if they do, will it help them... or hurt them?

Reppy
02-05-2009, 10:14 PM
The interesting thing with Facebook is that it's all about being a real person. Registering with a real name.

And while it can kinda suck that you have a ridiculously long profile URL I can see the benefit of it in 'keeping it real'. People won't be compelled to claim a name like 'makingmoneyonline'.

I do think it'll survive, and thrive. Myspace is all about whoring for friends (or fans) whereas Facebook is more about connecting (or reconnecting) with people you know in real life.

voanoa
02-06-2009, 06:24 AM
My answer is yes, why? Because is growing from year to year and its on the way to became a huge project

StuartD
02-06-2009, 06:30 AM
My answer is yes, why? Because is growing from year to year and its on the way to became a huge project

on the way??

200+ million users and over $15billion puts it on the way??

You sure do have high standards! :lol1: