PDA

View Full Version : I Need Help - Changing IP - Vista Users

SteveHardeman
01-26-2009, 11:54 AM
I need to change my laptop's IP. I didn't do anything wrong. Just having issues posting on a certain site that for some reason has apparently blocked my IP from being able to post.

My computer runs Vista. I have Comcast Cable and their cable modem. I have a router hard-wired between the modem and my computer.

I tried turning off the modem for 30 seconds, that didn't work.

I tried turning off both the modem and the router for 20 minutes, that didn't work.

I tried START>ACCESSORIES>COMMAND PROMPT and then typing in ipconfig/release but I get the following message: The requested operation requires elevation.

Comcast tells me they have dynamic IP's that reset every 7 days or so but I want to change it NOW.

Anyone have any ideas? Besides "stop using vista" :-)

SteveHardeman
01-26-2009, 12:15 PM
OK after I posted the OP I went into COMMAND PROMPT but instead of opening it, I right clicked and hit "Run as Administrator" and then ran the ipconfig/release command and that did run correctly but still didn't change my IP because apparently that just doesn't force a new IP. Hmmmm, thought it would.

Called Comcast and they told me they could give me an alternate IP but I'd have to know how to manipulate my computer to utilize it which I do not.

So, I guess I'm looking for a way to disquise my IP now. By the way, I'm not doing anything shady. Craigslist won't post my ads. I guess someone over there go squirely and blocked my IP based on some troubleshooting I've been doing.

That's it. No spamming or any other stuff. :-)

MP
01-26-2009, 12:29 PM
Without Comcast relasing your DHCP IP, I don't see how you could change it, sounds like you need to figure out how to use a Proxy IP to get around it :(

Cleo
01-26-2009, 12:40 PM
Unscrew the cable going to your Comcast modem for about an hour and you will probably get a new IP from Comcast but it isn't guaranteed.

In addition to my Comcast cable ISP I also have the cheapest Earthlink ADSL that is available for when I need to have a different IP. That and for when Comcast goes down which is a few times a month.

Mr. Goat
01-26-2009, 01:02 PM
Yeah just use a proxy site online such as http://www.youranonymousproxy.com/

Spacemanspiff
01-26-2009, 01:16 PM
If you have a LAN set up, then the IP addresses on the machines on your network are probably internal IP addresses, usually something like 192.168.1.100. Running ipconfig/renew or release just updates the internal IP. Your router should hold the external IP assigned to your comcast connection. I don't know of any way to manually update that. That's usually done through the ISP.