PDA

View Full Version : Moving sites to new hosting

concierge!
12-13-2008, 05:10 PM
I just switched to a new host and have some sites I want to transfer over. They moved the backup files over for me from my old host, but I still need to install them I guess you would call it. These are all wordpress blogs. I've searched on google but didn't find anything that made any sense to me. Anyone have any experience with this and wouldn't mind helping someone who has no idea what they're doing?

facialfreak
12-13-2008, 05:17 PM
It is being done as we speak ...

moving them was only the first step ...

We will set them up for you too! :fight:

(currently we are changing the GID/UID on all files to user/user, and populating the domains with your data ...)

You have several domains, most with databases, so the process is not instant.

Please email our support with your questions/concerns before bringing it to the boards.

concierge!
12-13-2008, 05:23 PM
Oh thanks FF, I didn't realize you guys set them up for me too, that's the best news ever. You guys aren't charging enough.

the Shemp
12-13-2008, 05:56 PM
I just switched to a new host and have some sites I want to transfer over. They moved the backup files over for me from my old host, but I still need to install them I guess you would call it. These are all wordpress blogs. I've searched on google but didn't find anything that made any sense to me. Anyone have any experience with this and wouldn't mind helping someone who has no idea what they're doing?
a good host will do all that stuff for you..
looks like youve got one :)

andrewst
12-13-2008, 06:14 PM
Can a host do that at great speed?
Last time I moved my stuff the host said they would do it no problem but it would take 1 week.
It was quicker for me to do it.
Websites were about 10gig data on 20 domains
It took me 4 days I left a lot behind
Something I dont ever want to do again

facialfreak
12-13-2008, 07:34 PM
Oh thanks FF, I didn't realize you guys set them up for me too, that's the best news ever. You guys aren't charging enough.

we can charge more if you like .. :giggle:

(we do accept tips) :D

A.J. Angel
12-13-2008, 11:54 PM
Can a host do that at great speed?
Last time I moved my stuff the host said they would do it no problem but it would take 1 week.
It was quicker for me to do it.
Websites were about 10gig data on 20 domains
It took me 4 days I left a lot behind
Something I dont ever want to do again

One week is looong. What was your host that let you wait so much? As far as I can tell, most host do that at a greater speed than a week. Usually in the course of three days at most.

andrewst
12-14-2008, 12:12 AM
I think the site I was taking down was so slow
I now use 6 or 7 hosts the stuff I moved I moved over where you are at NH
I couldnt be happier it is so quick and easy to set up blogs using fantastico.
Any idea how many you can put on a virtual?
I do only 1 so I have a unique ip address maybe I can buy more I never checked but $12 for a 100gigs room and 1000gigs transfer I can also use it for freesites.

kaz
12-14-2008, 12:48 AM
FF is definitely one of the good ones, willing to go the extra mile and earn the money he makes!

facialfreak
12-14-2008, 02:33 AM
I think the site I was taking down was so slow
I now use 6 or 7 hosts the stuff I moved I moved over where you are at NH
I couldnt be happier it is so quick and easy to set up blogs using fantastico.
Any idea how many you can put on a virtual?
I do only 1 so I have a unique ip address maybe I can buy more I never checked but $12 for a 100gigs room and 1000gigs transfer I can also use it for freesites.

If you use Wordpress, you want to add this plugin:

WP Super Cache (http://ocaoimh.ie/wp-super-cache/)

In a nutshell, it converts frequently accessed PHP/MySQL queried pages to static HTML, removing any need for even querying PHP, so you reduce your server load by a factor of at least 10 ...

Using this plugin, you should be able to host a couple dozen wordpress blogs on a virtual account easily, provided you don't have insane traffic ..

andrewst
12-14-2008, 02:50 AM
Thanks for that FACIALFREAK
I looked at that last night it was one of the top recomeded plugins on my wordpress 2.7 interface something to do with cache
I dont have any blog traffic Yet
How many blogs would you run off a virtual?
Would they all have to be a diferent ip adress?

facialfreak
12-14-2008, 03:17 AM
How many blogs would you run off a virtual?
Would they all have to be a diferent ip adress?

How many blogs you can possibly run off of a virtual plan depends on a great many factors:

a) what size plan you have

b) traffic (maybe not an issue for you yet ..)

c) if you use static HTML caching ..

d) probably the most important factor - How oversold is the virtual server you are on? Easily 60-75% of popular virtual hosts practice over-selling, as a means of staying profitable, where they place many more clients on a server than it should have by rights - banking on the fact that most clients are not going to use the amount of resources they have been sold.

The more oversold a server is, the more people have to share a fixed amount of resources, and more times than enough, this will result in frequent downtimes and/or slow performance.

Its true I am not the cheapest host in town, but I have NEVER oversold a server, and never will ..

The moment a shared server starts to show signs of being overworked (or usually before this point), I will build a new server, and start loading it up ..

What my clients pay a bit more for, is not the number of gigabytes transfer I give them, or the number of megabytes of storage, but more quality of performance, and the level of support. At the end of the day, if your site(s) go down, and you don't have the support, your dead in the water!

But I digress ... To answer your original question, I have some clients running a few dozen smaller blogs on a 50GB virtual account without any problems.

Usually, a virtual will handle several well optimized blogs while you are growing your traffic, but once you start receiving a good amount of traffic, you will want to budget for at least a VPS, if not a small P4 dedicated box.

I'm sorry my answer was a bit wordy, but I hope I answered your Q.

FF

facialfreak
12-14-2008, 03:24 AM
My bad .... I did not even address the multiple/shared IP addresses question .. :corky:

I own a network of 25+ mainstream blogs, and they are all on shared IPs, and I do very well with my SEO/SEM campaigns, but I have alot of experience with SEO, so I make it my job to know a great deal of the do's and don'ts.

When asked my opinion of the multiple IP / mutiple C classes debate, I like to paraphrase it like this:

If you’re going to the bank to cash a check, there’s nothing wrong with driving your own car. If you’re going to the bank to rob it, on the other hand, driving your own car is going to make it ridiculously easy for the police to find you.

However, even if you steal a car before robbing the bank, the odds of you actually getting away with the crime aren’t exactly favorable.

There are just too many ways to get caught and eliminating the most obvious, be it your car or IP addresses, is of minimal help.

The answer?!?

Don’t rob the bank and the convenience of using your own car will never become an issue.

andrewst
12-14-2008, 07:13 PM
Thanks for your great response/insite/wisdom FACIALFREAK
I think I will eliminate some possible variables by having individual ips.
First using the domain for a freesite or 2 then using mydomain.com/blog/
Good thing about blogs is they are easy to move later on as they dont take up much room (content is being pulled mostly from other places)
I am using the virtuals as they have fantastico and wordpress is so easy to set up.
Cheers