PDA

View Full Version : Form Letter Response from My Senator as to the Auto Bailout

GetSCORECash
12-12-2008, 09:36 PM
Below is a response to the recent comments I received from you:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the automobile industry. I appreciate hearing from you and would like to take this opportunity to respond.

On November 17, 2008, Senator Harry Reid (D-NV) introduced two bills (S. 3688 and S. 3689) that included provisions that would amend the Emergency Economic Stabilization Act to direct the Secretary of the Treasury to make a loan of up to $25 billion to automobile manufacturers and parts suppliers. Both S. 3688 and 3689 have been placed on the Senate Legislative Calendar and await further consideration. In the meantime, Congressional leaders have directed the auto manufacturers to present a comprehensive proposal by December 2, 2008, that explains exactly how they would use public financing and details a clear plan to return to profitability. The Senate Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs is scheduled to hold hearings on the proposal prior to any consideration by the full Senate.

I believe that the domestic auto industry is an integral part of the American landscape and that the failure of General Motors, Chrysler, or Ford could, in the short term, further damage our already fragile economy. However, I do not support using funding from the Troubled Assets Relief Program (TARP) to assist the auto industry, as Senator Reidís legislation would direct. TARP is specifically targeted to the credit markets and should remain narrowly focused on that industry. I do support altering the Section 136 program to allow automakers to immediately tap a $25 billion loan program included in a broader energy package enacted by Congress last year (P.L. 110-140). The original intent of the Section 136 loan program was to help the auto industry retool to produce more fuel-efficient cars. To date, not one of the auto companies has utilized any of this funding.

I do not want to see the American automobile industry fail, but equally, I do not want to see taxpayer dollars put at risk in an investment that is at best risky. Florida families deserve to know that their hard-earned money will not be squandered. I will be working with all of my colleagues in the coming days to ensure that any plan Congress considers is in keeping with the best interest of taxpayers.
Again, thank you for sharing your views with me on this important issue. For more information about issues and activities important to Florida, please sign up for my newsletter at http://martinez.senate.gov.

Sincerely,

Mel Martinez
United States Senator

Thanks for not even reading my letter... I'm sadden :( he won't run again, I won't get a chance not to vote for him.

This seams to be the response he is sending to everyone. You have to love these politicians.

concierge!
12-12-2008, 10:50 PM
I've gotten a form response from every letter I've sent to a politician. Of course, the letters I send are usually form letters so I guess I shouldn't expect much back.

MP
12-12-2008, 11:10 PM
The GOP really thinks this will help them, fucking idiots.

crockett
12-12-2008, 11:46 PM
I really think it's funny that they will hand out hundreds of billions to banks and walls treat whom just manipulate the books lie and cheat. They give billions in tax breaks and credits to big oil whom have screwed this country over in a time of need.

Yet the one industry that we have left in this country that makes something and supplies high paying jobs and can still compete on a world wide scale gets snubbed and ridiculed because they got their selves in trouble and need a few billion.

Gotta love America. I'm not a fan of all these bail outs, but I'd sure as hell rather see the big three get a little hand out than to see wall street crooks get it.

The simple problem is, we are trying to punish the big three for building cars americans wanted to drive. If they made smaller trucks or econco cars the sales would have tanked long ago.

яochard
12-13-2008, 12:06 AM
GM just bitch smacked them - by announcing they are closing twenty plants.

SirMoby
12-13-2008, 12:07 AM
I've gotten a form response from every letter I've sent to a politician. Of course, the letters I send are usually form letters so I guess I shouldn't expect much back.
A buddy of mine, English major used to write those form letters. His job was to write about 3 letters a week. he was making about $35k doing that in the early 1980s which was damn good

SirMoby
12-13-2008, 12:10 AM
The GOP really thinks this will help them, fucking idiots.
Some like Bob Corker, who is the leading voice here will make out like a fucking bandit. In Tennessee they're subsidising car manufacturing to move to their state. If Michigan goes bust he can than subsidies those plants and workers to move to Tennessee.

Basically fuck what's good for America and only focus on what's good for his own state.

crockett
12-13-2008, 12:29 AM
GM just bitch smacked them - by announcing they are closing twenty plants.

Yep that's what all this bickering will lead to, more lost jobs. Not to mention the entire towns around these plants will effectively go out of business.

They don't think twice about giving over a trillion dollars to wall street CEO's but a few billion to save shit loads of high paying American jobs is out of the question.

In a few years they will be crying when the big three are opening new plants in Mexico, once the economy comes back.

SeanHart
12-13-2008, 12:30 PM
I love that years of paying taxes goes toward these bailouts but if I lose my job tomorrow and become homeless, no bail out for my family and I.