PDA

View Full Version : Can you work and chat on messengers at the same time?

AbulletAway
09-26-2008, 04:20 AM
I know some people that seem to be able chat all day or night while working. I just can't do it. Yes I can walk and chew gum at the some time but work is different for me. I like to actually pay attention to what I am doing. I get interrupted by messenger and it fucks off what I am doing every time.

I am just not that chatty of a person. I have my moments where I can be chatty but for the most part I am quiet. I sit here, it's quiet, the tv is on in the background and I do my thing. I might take mini breaks while working and make a post or shoot someone a message asking about something. But, that's it. I don't want to stay and chat, I got shit to do. I don't have these PC's so I can sit and bullshit all day. I do my work, I check the forum and that's it.

I was talking to someone the other day on ICQ or MSN and they were asking if I was ok because I wasn't being chatty. I said that it's because I am trying to get work done. They were like, "Ohh, ok then. So did you see the game last night?" I just looked at the screen and thought, you dumb ass did I just not say I am trying to get some work done? What part of that means, "Yes I am trying to get some work done but I don't mind stopping to talk to you. What I really meant to say was that I am trying to get some work done but talking to you comes first."

Someone once told me, "You just have to tell them that you can't talk right now because you are working. People suck at taking hints so just say what you mean and be done with it." I got to thinking about it and agreed with them. Why beat around the bush, just tell them you can't talk right now.

So a few days ago I am talking to someone on ICQ. I was almost being chatty. Hadn't talked to them in a while so I was just catching up. But, it was dragging on and on and I needed to get to work. So I said something like, "OK, I need to get started on work now but I will talk to you later." It was short, to the point and not offensive. They respond with, "Well then why did you hit me up in the first place if you had to get to work?" I just shook my head. We talked for a good ten minutes; I don't know what else needed to be said? It's more than I talk to most people I know but I guess that wasn't good enough for them?

I don't know, I guess I am just bad at ending shit?

Panky
09-26-2008, 05:28 AM
Nope. Nothing pisses me off more than when I'm in a really good work mode and someone keeps pinging and they don't actually want anything.

As a result, I turned all my sounds off and the window just sits in the tray. I'll address the ones I need to, if I'm there, and the others just have to wait.

AbulletAway
09-26-2008, 05:34 AM
That's what I try to do sort of. I need my sound on but I just ignore the messages now or I just look at them to make sure it's not something important like, someone died, I got fired, things like that. Sometimes I will leave ICQ off for days now. But, it never fails, I get working on something and then all of a sudden I am mr. popular and everyone has to talk to me about something.

Tim
09-26-2008, 06:52 AM
I can to an extent - depending how relevant it is to the work I'm doing.

StaceyJo
09-26-2008, 08:01 AM
I chat when I chatted them first bec. of the times I leave my messenger offline or invisible mode, so when I feel to talk to them, I ping them first, the rest well after work I just leave or email them.

StuartD
09-26-2008, 08:15 AM
Actually I tend to have up to 7 or 8 conversations on the go while working, some friends, some co-workers some... others...

I don't have a problem working through icq's and msn messages, it's when I have to pick up the phone that everything comes to a dead stop.

I just hate it when I get an icq or msn message that says "Can I call you?"

Ugh... NO!

oceania
09-26-2008, 11:35 PM
well i usually have icq off until i am done writing and recording
nothing spoils a good sex story then someone asking how i feel about the bailout <smile>somehow that just kills the orgasm

seriously i dont know how my kids can watch TV, IM and study for a test all at the same time. maybe it is the generation of short attention spans and a need for quick bites size information pellets.

PurrsianPussyKat
09-26-2008, 11:37 PM
Nope.

Michelle
09-26-2008, 11:58 PM
Duh, yes who can't multitask!

JerseyGTO
09-27-2008, 12:02 AM
[color=indigo]Nope. Nothing pisses me off more than when I'm in a really good work mode

Oh Jesus Christ yes...

When people come over they'll sit in the doorway to the office Im trying to build and talk..Ill listen but when your done get a beer or whatever and GO WATCH T.V. Ill be in there in a Few Min..

Im on ICQ when all my work is done an I got time to fuck around..

I can handle the 5 to 10 min talk but when I stop its cause Im doing something else an Ill answer in a few minuets dont keep on with the

Are you There..

Are you There..

Helloooooooo

When I answer that means I can, if I leave I will tell you !

tommyschlong
09-27-2008, 12:02 AM
i like multitasking

however i usually leave my icq on invisible so if you really need me you will hit me up...LOL

JerseyGTO
09-27-2008, 12:07 AM
Duh, yes who can't multitask!

Yea but you have the patience to rebuild a carburetor..

I still got three Quadrajets apart since 1993 :giggle:

Mr. Goat
09-27-2008, 12:16 AM
Bullet is the WORST when it comes to IM. I'll just leave it at that... worst IM contact in the history of all IM's

kaz
09-27-2008, 12:25 AM
I believe Mailman summed up my answer nicely. It all depends on who I'm talking to. Some people only IM me once every few minutes, no biggie, it's those that feel the need to constantly chat everything 30 seconds that annoy the hell out of me when I'm working!

Michelle
09-27-2008, 12:30 AM
Yea but you have the patience to rebuild a carburetor..

I still got three Quadrajets apart since 1993 :giggle:
LMAO! Hell yeah, I even have the carburetor tiny wrenches on my key chain. Bring it on Baby! I'll help you out!

DarkWeb
09-27-2008, 09:28 AM
Dude you cut me short the other night WTF? I was almost done :squirt::giggle:

Mike Semen
09-27-2008, 10:48 AM
I prefer putting my headphones on and blasting through a couple of hours, then doing all the communication that came up during that time.

Melly
09-27-2008, 10:56 AM
I hate IMs with a passion. Some people just have to chat. Those people drive me crazy. Get a life, get some work done or something but leave me alone!! Im not chatty and if Im online it usually means Im working. If it's important they will send me an email.

Footman
09-27-2008, 01:05 PM
I don't mind IMing at all. Actually kind of like it as I don't really have to respond right away as with a phone call. I'm always invisible so I don't get many people pinging. I also know that people may be doing other things, as I would be, and don't get all flustered if I don't get an answer straight away. If the conversation was that important I'd call you. I've been chatting with friends and all of a sudden it gets heavy so I pick up the phone and call them. IMing is for basic chatting.

яochard
09-27-2008, 01:19 PM
I chat all day while I work. It's not like your talking on the phone and you have to pay attention to your instant messages, but instead you reply to them when you can. Writing out some text? Finish the paragraph and then check to see what someone just sent you.