PDA

View Full Version : 5.6 Quake just now. Fucking scary.

Boonestoons
07-29-2008, 03:45 PM
Damn near knocked me out of my chair!

Cyndalie
07-29-2008, 03:52 PM
Oh crap, hope all is ok!

AbulletAway
07-29-2008, 03:56 PM
Just got the CNN alert on it. That's a pretty strong one.

Boonestoons
07-29-2008, 04:03 PM
They updated it to a 5.8. They've evacuated Disneyland and Griffith Park. No damage reported but that was strong enough to scare the fuck out of people.

MP
07-29-2008, 04:10 PM
I bet it was caused by Global Warming!

SicOne
07-29-2008, 04:12 PM
That's a pretty strong shake

Surprised you didn't blame Hayden, maybe she swung a arm or something.

MP
07-29-2008, 04:15 PM
That's a pretty strong shake

Surprised you didn't blame Hayden, maybe she swung a arm or something.LOL did not think of that!

NY Jester
07-29-2008, 04:18 PM
Hope all is well. All Ive seen so far is buidings shook, no damage report. Thats a plus I think.

Boonestoons
07-29-2008, 04:18 PM
Well it sure scared the fuck out of a lot of people! There's barely any traffic going and people are triple checking their shit. I've been so busy the past few weeks I didn't have time to post on MP but some shit like a quake is an above average emergency. It was quite startling and seeing people fleeing from Disneyland is very unsettling. However only a few people are saying they've had any damage like stuff falling off shelves. So it was a shaker but not a breaker.

AbulletAway
07-29-2008, 04:23 PM

I bet it was caused by Kim K tripping and falling down landing on that enormous ass of hers.

Cyndalie
07-29-2008, 04:35 PM
I blame high gas prices.

Boonestoons
07-29-2008, 04:59 PM
Now they're downgrading it to a 5.4. Well if that was a 5.4 then I don't even wanna be around for anything stronger.

Boonestoons
07-29-2008, 05:08 PM
yep, we got damage. Lots of folks do. Just noticing and reports coming in. So far for me it's not so bad. Maybe $200-$300 in damaged stuff. Gotta go through boxes of collectibles yet. Looks like another sale time again!

SirMoby
07-29-2008, 05:26 PM
It's Obama's fault. He's the new black Jimmy Carter. If he didn't stop in England and Germany this would be OK. Obama hates America and caused this.

It's the democrats fault. It's the liberal leaning left that caused this as Oklahoma doesn't get 5.6 quakes. Of course this is going to happen in Nancy Pelosi's state.

If we could drill for oil in California then we'd release the pressure causing these quakes.

Boonestoons
07-29-2008, 08:09 PM
Best to keep an eye on web traffic as there have been some electrical outtages and wifi etc. in the region since the quake.

papillon
07-29-2008, 08:50 PM
Glad everyone is safe and their is no deaths.

digifan
07-29-2008, 08:55 PM
Oh snap... this is one scary year with earthquakes, hurricanes, tornadoes etc.

Boonestoons
07-29-2008, 09:06 PM
They say it's the biggest quake in the region in 15 years. My ass is reconsidering any more extended stays in this mo' fo' cause that earthquake shit is not fun. I'd rather be home in NY watching this shit on CNN instead.

voanoa
07-29-2008, 09:25 PM
That is really bad man, hope everything its ok now

яochard
07-29-2008, 11:26 PM
5.6 is nothing. Wait until you go through a 7.0. Then your talking.

I remember it like it was yesterday - the parking lot was like an ocean with five foot waves. Now that's fucking scary.

AbulletAway
07-30-2008, 12:21 AM
I've lived in CA most of my life, you get used to them after a while. The one today, I was surprised it got so much coverage. But, then of course the closer shit happens to LA the more media coverage it gets. I remember a few years back when Big Bear had a quake. 5. something. Happened early in the morning by lunch, no one was talking about it. But, shit happens in within 30 miles of LA and the world is ending.

camcruise
07-30-2008, 02:04 AM
I was in San Francisco for the 89 quake. A 7.0 now that was scary.
5.4 would be a walk in the park to that one.

AbulletAway
07-30-2008, 02:33 AM

I have family in the Bay area. I had just gotten married on the 14th of October. We left the next day to Vegas, stayed the night and then left around noon for San Fransisco. Just after 5pm we tried calling up north and couldn't get through. We were running late, we were supposed to be there just after 5pm.

We couldn't get through to anyone up there. So we called our families down south and heard about the Earthquake. I guess everyone down south thought we were dead because we should have been driving over the 280 I think it was, the one that collapsed. Needless to say I should have known then the marriage was doomed.

Toby
07-30-2008, 02:58 AM
I lived in the Bay Area for awhile 8-9 years ago. 5.5 to 5.8 quakes every few months.

You don't think about quakes until they happen, and 30 seconds later they're over. Unless you happen to be very close to the epicenter or it's a very large quake, you simply go back to whatever you were doing.

Hurricanes on the other hand torture you with uncertainty for days in advance before deciding exactly where they're going to make landfall.

яochard
07-30-2008, 04:12 AM

Yeppers, that's the one I was talking about.

I had just moved to California and some of my co-workers decided to have a little fun with me and scared the daylights out of me telling me that the big was coming sooner or later. So, I prepared for it. I worked for a catering company at the time, and I was stocked up on all kinds of food - canned food, water, and sterno.

Then it hit - without warning. I was at work. The whole place fucking shook. Oh, I was in Pleasanton, California, like sixty miles from the quake. Every pot and pan our kitchen had on the wall had fallen off. I made my way outside to see the parking - I kid you not! - rolling like an ocean!!!! With five foot waves!

The crappy part wasn't the earth quake - it was the next three days. We had no power, and no phone. No power = you can't buy jack shit. No stores were open.

No streetlights - they were all out - and some downed power lines. Driving was an adventure again!

I lived like a fucking king! Besides the canned food, bottled water, and sterno I had, I was set. I worked at two different places and had the keys to both, so I grabbed what I needed. One of the places was - don't laugh - a Wienerschnitzel, a fast food joint that sells chili dogs. I grabbed huge cans of chilli, some hot dogs, and buns, and had a three day bbq! I also grabbed some soda from my other job and just rolled with it.

Good times....

Still to this day I have a huge cabinet full of emergency supplies and food, packed into big bags (duffel bags). If I need to leave the house I can quickly throw everything into the truck, including cat food and dog food, enough to live off of a week. We also have an extra storage area in our pantry.

MattOT
07-30-2008, 07:08 AM
I heard about on the news, I am glad we don't get any quakes here.

LAJ
07-30-2008, 12:05 PM
Boy I so don't miss those.

Really tho, a 5.4 isn't TOO big a deal... BUT...

I remember back in 1994 when the Northridge quake hit... there was a couple of good jolts the weeks preceeding it. Wonder if this one is a precursor for bigger things to come?

Boonestoons
07-30-2008, 03:22 PM
Today the videos of various damages are coming in and it was far stronger than I and everyone else figured. Another one like it and my ass is out of here.

Tim
07-30-2008, 05:00 PM
Take care out there!