PDA

View Full Version : Console tours....

Footman
07-03-2008, 06:17 PM
What are they and why are they not acceptable - generally for tgps/mgps?

PMC
07-03-2008, 06:48 PM
popup consoles, submit sites find them annoying, i use them for se traffic, extra $5 a sale

NY Jester
07-03-2008, 07:03 PM
Consoles, is usually a pop-up or pop-under attached with the main tour of a site. Many of the best places want console free links, that includes TGP/MGP and Link Lists. As Wigles mentioned its better for SE taffic and its gives usually a few exrta $$ per sale/ %

Panky
07-03-2008, 07:57 PM
They aren't generally accepted for submissions because they potentially piss off surfers. Especially when it isn't just one window that pops, but a whole loop of them.

Every so often, there are glitches in the codes and the pops don't pop or have errors, affiliate links aren't carried through, or what is supposed to be one window popping turns into many more that won't close.

A sponsor can add anything they want to pop. It's their code. They control the pops.

Some sites won't trade with sites who use console codes.

kaz
07-03-2008, 08:00 PM
popup consoles, submit sites find them annoying, i use them for se traffic, extra $5 a sale

a few sponsors I promote are as high as 10 more, but I think I'll stop sending people to consoles as I didn't know what exactly they were either :(

the Shemp
07-04-2008, 06:29 AM
What are they and why are they not acceptable - generally for tgps/mgps?

say you bought number 10 spot on the hun and the 9 galleries listed right above you all limked to console loops...you wouldnt get very good results...

for tgps to be fair to all the gallery submitters, every gallery has to link to a tour where the surfer can return to the tgp unimpeded...

kaz
07-04-2008, 09:12 AM
for tgps to be fair to all the gallery submitters, every gallery has to link to a tour where the surfer can return to the tgp unimpeded...
that makes sense, otherwise the surfer would get lost forever in the unlimited popups of a single webmaster, accidentally (or purposely) close the windows and possibly lose the TGP they originally came from.

digifan
07-04-2008, 10:33 AM
Consoles are very annoying. Use them and lose your bookmarkers.

KRM
07-04-2008, 10:45 AM
I never use popups as I like to know what I'm presenting to surfers and it's impossible to keep up with what a program is popping up.Not to mention that surfers just don't like them and I believe that you will make a lot more in the long run without using them.

Footman
07-04-2008, 11:29 AM
ok, so basically consoles=popups. I didn't know that.

I've never liked popups. As a surfer I always found them to be worse than spam in my email. I've had experiences in the past when I tried to close a window and another opens and so on. I had to turn of the computer to get it to stop. I come from a service background and I always believed that if you take care of your customers they will come back and spread the word about you. Now that I'm on the business end of the web I still use that philosophy and I can't imagine how annoying the surfer is good for business.

tranza
07-04-2008, 11:30 AM
Every so often, there are glitches in the codes and the pops don't pop or have errors, affiliate links aren't carried through, or what is supposed to be one window popping turns into many more that won't close.

Yep, these "glitches" happen all the time.

:(

bluemoney
07-04-2008, 11:32 AM
Yep. pop-ups generally "suck ass".

Footman
07-04-2008, 12:33 PM
Now, just to play devils advocate... What are the good things about them? Obviously they pay off somehow or people wouldn't use them. Some people have said they do make some money from them but it hardly seems worth it in the long run.

I do know that some mainstream sites use popups and are part of their site and not a last ditch attempt at selling something. For example some times when a form needs to be filled out it's a popup that has the form and not just another page on the site.

the Shemp
07-04-2008, 02:48 PM
Now, just to play devils advocate... What are the good things about them? Obviously they pay off somehow or people wouldn't use them. Some people have said they do make some money from them but it hardly seems worth it in the long run.

I do know that some mainstream sites use popups and are part of their site and not a last ditch attempt at selling something. For example some times when a form needs to be filled out it's a popup that has the form and not just another page on the site.

there is a difference between a single popup that you can close and these idiot console loops that will pop page after page, often with no means of closing them off...
when your screen freezes and you have to reboot your computer...that is way over the line for me and it hurts business

Panky
07-04-2008, 03:07 PM

Two completely different purposes and ways to use a pop.

Method 1:
Get information from a surfer such as email address, vote in a poll, form filling, leave a comment, and the likes, while keeping the surfer on the same page.

Method 2:
Highlight an offer or feature to the surfer. Can be a soft sell or brute force.

Spicy
07-05-2008, 08:57 AM
always check the tour, some sponsors include an exit popup on the join page that would not show up in firefox.. I noticed many big companies do that, you wont see a popup until you go to the join page and decide NOT to buy.. then it throws a window at you.. and this is often done on a pop up FREE tours.. !

Footman
07-05-2008, 11:38 AM
The interesting thing is that I have pop up blocker enabled on my browsers and I still get a popup now and then.

bluemoney
07-05-2008, 12:29 PM
there is a difference between a single popup that you can close and these idiot console loops that will pop page after page, often with no means of closing them off...
when your screen freezes and you have to reboot your computer...that is way over the line for me and it hurts business
I agree, they can be useful if used responsibly but too many times their just a headache.