PDA

View Full Version : Question about bought content and brokers

Jace
04-26-2007, 05:58 AM
As we all know there are tons of content brokers out there that resell content packages for others

what if the person brokering the content didn't pay up his royalties to the original content owner? can I be held liable even though I paid the broker in full?

can the original content owner come after me even though I paid for the content legally without knowledge of the deal gone bad between the producer and broker?

A.J. Comparetto
04-26-2007, 11:10 AM
As we all know there are tons of content brokers out there that resell content packages for others

what if the person brokering the content didn't pay up his royalties to the original content owner? can I be held liable even though I paid the broker in full?

can the original content owner come after me even though I paid for the content legally without knowledge of the deal gone bad between the producer and broker?
Generally speaking, the answer is no. However, as with any kind of general rule, there are exceptions. One such set of circumstances is where the adult entertainment retailer has reasonable cause to believe that the broker either is cheating or intends to cheat the producer or copyright owner out of his/her/their property. This is not some highly nuanced legal creature. Instead this is more a practical, common-sense matter. Follow your nose. If the deal smells....especially, if the deal stinks to high heavens, just don't do the deal. If in doubt, follow your gut intincts and insist on a variety of assurances that the producer and/or copyright owner has been paid all sums due and that there are reasonable assurances of future payments as due.

I hope this helps.

Jace
04-26-2007, 06:31 PM
Thanks AJ, that actually helps a lot

the deal didn't smell a bit, in fact the broker is confident she is totally on the right side of the law, and the only reason the content producer is upset is because of past monies owed by the broker

A.J. Comparetto
04-26-2007, 07:09 PM
Thanks AJ, that actually helps a lot

the deal didn't smell a bit, in fact the broker is confident she is totally on the right side of the law, and the only reason the content producer is upset is because of past monies owed by the broker
You are very welcome!

Best of luck to you!