PDA

View Full Version : So I went to Staten Island yesterday....

asuna
12-11-2006, 07:16 AM
and I've always heard people talking about the smell in New Jersey, and wondering what they meant, so we drove thru jersey, and now I know what the hell they are talking about, where the hell does the smell come from? all those oil/gas plants??

PMC
12-11-2006, 08:10 AM
whats it smell like?

asuna
12-11-2006, 08:31 AM
There's no other smell like it to put a name to it

When I asked my friend what was up with the smell, he laughed and said everyone who comes from out of town asks him that

asuna
12-11-2006, 08:36 AM
Then on the way back to take the 287 West, i took the wrong turn and ended up in freaking queens, so we just drove around to check out the city then headed back onto the 287 and back home!

But I don't like going to the states by car, when I go to burlington and pass by high gates, they're pretty nice and do't usually have an issue, but friday night at lacolle, we got pulled inside, and the car got searched, and so did we, we had to empty our pockets, pull them inside out, they looked thru all our wallets, each card one by one, kept us there about 25minutes.

But on the way back to Canada I never have issues, but this time he made me stop the car and he had to look inside the car, I wonder why they were so paranoid that weekend

PurrsianPussyKat
12-11-2006, 09:12 AM
The smell is a combination of things.

On the north shore, there are oil refineries across the water.
At night, the tankers come in and unload, so there is a horrible oil odor.

On the jersey side, is Fresh kills landfill. It is/was the largest dump on the east coast.
I'm pretty sure they aren't accepting garbage anymore. It's sad in a way because they are building homes right across the street from it, and then people are wondering why their kids are dying of cancer.. Uhm. Duh?!?

Sprinkled throughout the island are a couple more closed landfills that stink to high hell. Remember, they are jammed full of shit from th 1950's where people threw away whatever they wanted.

Basically wherever you are on the island, you can't escape the smell.. it's just less in some places. LOL :D

Seven888
12-11-2006, 09:16 AM
no wonder they call it a waste dump ;)

asuna
12-11-2006, 09:17 AM
You live in NJ?

That damn$9 bridge!

Also, at one of the tolls my friends had no cash, I had it on me and i already passed and forgot to pay for them, so teh girl said it's ok we'll bill you, but they ad my car, and I didnt have a license plate in back on the car, it was in the back window, how are they going to bill me? i believe it was under $3, are they going to send me a $50 bill or something?

PurrsianPussyKat
12-11-2006, 09:21 AM
Not any more. I grew up in New jersey.. lived on SI for a little while.. moved down to the jersey shore and now I live out in PA. :)

Don't worry, you'll get a bill. Did you know, if you run a red light on SI, they have cameras that take pics of your car and then you'll get a ticket in the mail? :eek:

asuna
12-11-2006, 09:34 AM
I sure hope they allow right on red, we turned on every red light!

asuna
12-11-2006, 09:35 AM
And people are so nice i SI, we were walking towards my friends place, and 2 different people just said hello to us, as if they knew us! weird, that would never happen here in Montreal

PurrsianPussyKat
12-11-2006, 10:11 AM
What section of SI did you visit?

asuna
12-11-2006, 10:14 AM
err I don't know what part of Staten Island I was in lol

I just map quested, and it says St Geroge, could that be it?

PurrsianPussyKat
12-11-2006, 10:18 AM
Yup! Did you see the ferry?
The St. george area is like the northeast corner.

asuna
12-11-2006, 10:26 AM
Didn't get to see the ferry, I didn't really care lol,
I was up since 7am saturday, and we left for SI at around 1am, got there around 7:45am, i just wanted to sleep, but we left around 10am, so i was pretty tired driving back i didnt sightsee even tho we got lost

MP
12-11-2006, 12:12 PM
Didn't get to see the ferry, I didn't really care lol,
I was up since 7am saturday, and we left for SI at around 1am, got there around 7:45am, i just wanted to sleep, but we left around 10am, so i was pretty tired driving back i didnt sightsee even tho we got lost
What made you want to go there?

asuna
12-11-2006, 12:42 PM
Had to go pick up a car

I paid almost $50 in tolls,
one bridge alone was $9, and the other was $6

How the hell do people do it everyday? jeez what a waste of money

DarkWeb
12-11-2006, 12:51 PM
no wonder they call it a waste dump ;)

Most of Jersey is but I live in a nice area in the middle of the woods
Fucking taxes suck ass though :mad:

laura99
12-11-2006, 03:59 PM
Ten years ago I had to go to manhattan in a truck. It cost $20 for one bridge. I about shit!

asuna
12-12-2006, 07:46 AM
Yeah, trucks pay more as well!

JerseyGTO
12-12-2006, 10:08 AM
I dont know about now but in the early 70s to the very early 90s you would of seennnn alotta street racing on 287 almost every weekend from '88 to '91 we would cross the bridge from jersey just to either watch or paticipate I ran a 67 camaro ss first then i went full guido an ran a '86 Iroc :lol1: The big boys would always run for no less than 1,000 bucks a run I miss those days...As for the smell In Newark,kearny,harrison you have huge landfill/garbage dumps AND chemical factories I used to live there every weekend at my fathers place an holy shit ill tell you every day at 12 pm right a friggin lunch the dow chemical factory would open its vents ugghhh It smelled like black liqorish for 15 min an i got a vomiting migrane as soon as i smelled it a few times :corky: Hell I think thats why so fucked up now LOL :hello:

asuna
12-12-2006, 10:16 AM
I love the smell of black liqorish however... I don't think I want to go back to NJ for a while!