PDA

View Full Version : Ok, Netflix is starting to piss me off...

AbulletAway
11-03-2006, 05:01 PM
Ok, when I signed I got two weeks free. Cool. I order some movies and the next day I check my queue to see the status. I notice there's some text that is offering me two more weeks free if I add 3 more movies to my queue. Ok, cool. Movies added.

I never got the extra 2 weeks free. Ok no biggie. I am still getting my movies so it's all good. But, I have noticed that every single fucking time I order a series of something. Like for example the last series of movies I ordered, Mirror / Mirror 1-4. The fuckers ship me part 1 and part 3 one day. Then they ship me part 4 the next then a day later I get part 2. The whole point of a series is to get them is to watch them in order. That's probably why when they finished part they just didn't jump to part 3 and make and release that. No, they made and released part 2 before part 3.

So, now, I'm on a new series. Sure enough, they are sending me parts two and three today but, of course they have to ship part 1 from fucking Florida and it won't get here till the 7th. You know they do this shit because they know you're gonna watch them all in order so you're gonna keep all the parts until you get the first part. I fucking hate that shit.

I have another series of coming up, probably will get to it in a week or two. If they fuck that one up I am gonna write them a long ass rant telling them to fuck off and then I'm gonna sign up with blockbuster.

Side note, other than that, I've been very happy with them. But, this bullshit about my movie series. Homey don't play that.

SirMoby
11-03-2006, 05:03 PM
Blank DVDs are cheap and then you have a copy to watch any time that you want. I hear that's what some people do with NetFlix.

AbulletAway
11-03-2006, 05:15 PM
Hmmm? I never thought of just copying the movies when they do that. My own kinda personal fuck you to Netflix. That's how I get over on them getting over on me.

Dario
11-03-2006, 05:59 PM
that sucks ass man... I dunno what movie thingy Lyn uses but when she ordered LOST for me we got it all in the right order and shit

msacras
11-04-2006, 12:36 AM
its better then it used to be i used to get penalzied for watching my movies to quick

XxXotic
11-04-2006, 12:38 AM
:jact:

AbulletAway
11-04-2006, 04:08 AM
Blank DVDs are cheap and then you have a copy to watch any time that you want. I hear that's what some people do with NetFlix.

I just copied parts two and three to a blank disc, tested them in my dvd player and it plays fine. Packaged the netflix dvd up and it goes in the mail tomorrow :D

AbulletAway
11-04-2006, 02:10 PM
I also copied Stephen King's Desperation. However, my copier said it was too big to fit on a standard 4.7 gig dvd. It asked if I wanted to compress it. I said why not. After I burned it I watched it and I could see the difference. Some scenes it was like watching a VHS tape. But I don't think most people would even notice a difference. Now I get to go drop them in the mail and do my evil laugh as I drop them in the box.

msacras
11-04-2006, 02:14 PM
nice idea - i may have to do the same - complete with an evil laugh

PMC
11-04-2006, 10:09 PM
damn that ruins the fun, i fucking hate waiting.

Jace
11-04-2006, 10:52 PM
they are doing that to me with a few series

I keep trying to get all the dvd's in the series and disc 1 is always on wait, so I have to keep pushing the rest back

and battlestar galactica came with disc3 first? then they sent disc1, which was actually disc 2, because for some reason even though disc 1 is the miniseries, they decided to make that a seperate order....fuckers

Rictor
11-05-2006, 06:21 AM
You hear about what Blockbuster is doing now? You can return your online rentals to the store if you want to instead of mailing them in, and they will scan them into the computer there and your next DVD is mailed to you right then. In addition, for every mail order DVD you return to the store, you get a free in-store rental. I tested this out the other day and it worked great. I got my free rental and when I went home, my queue on Blockbuster Online showed that I had returned the disc I took back to the store already and it showed that they had shipped out the next movie on my list to me.

Now this program isn't for everyone, since some people probably get online DVD services to AVOID going to the video store, but I go to Blockbuster every week anyway since it's in the same strip mall as the grocery store and video game store, so it's no big deal for me to pop in there once or twice a week, drop off my mail rentals and pick up a few free in-store rentals.

Add to that the fact that Blockbuster has a distribution center in pretty much every major city in the country now, which means 24 hour turn-around times for most people (I get my next mail order movie 24 hours after returning a DVD to the store), and the fact that Blockbuster, as far as I can tell, doesn't throttle people the way Netflix is known to, and Blockbuster is definitely the better deal. Of course, I have the feeling that Blockbuter is going to start charging for this premium service in the near future as right now they are saying you get a "free upgrade" to what they are calling their "Total Access" plan. I've heard they are keeping it free for at least 1 year though. Even if they start charging, odds are it will probably only be an extra $5 a month on your online bill. I'll probably pay for it anyway.

Jace
11-05-2006, 06:24 AM
You hear about what Blockbuster is doing now? You can return your online rentals to the store if you want to instead of mailing them in, and they will scan them into the computer there and your next DVD is mailed to you right then. In addition, for every mail order DVD you return to the store, you get a free in-store rental. I tested this out the other day and it worked great. I got my free rental and when I went home, my queue on Blockbuster Online showed that I had returned the disc I took back to the store already and it showed that they had shipped out the next movie on my list to me.

Now this program isn't for everyone, since some people probably get online DVD services to AVOID going to the video store, but I go to Blockbuster every week anyway since it's in the same strip mall as the grocery store and video game store, so it's no big deal for me to pop in there once or twice a week, drop off my mail rentals and pick up a few free in-store rentals.

Add to that the fact that Blockbuster has a distribution center in pretty much every major city in the country now, which means 24 hour turn-around times for most people (I get my next mail order movie 24 hours after returning a DVD to the store), and the fact that Blockbuster, as far as I can tell, doesn't throttle people the way Netflix is known to, and Blockbuster is definitely the better deal. Of course, I have the feeling that Blockbuter is going to start charging for this premium service in the near future as right now they are saying you get a "free upgrade" to what they are calling their "Total Access" plan. I've heard they are keeping it free for at least 1 year though. Even if they start charging, odds are it will probably only be an extra $5 a month on your online bill. I'll probably pay for it anyway.
um...that is a pretty fucking good deal

can you use the free rental right then and there?

so, you get your movie in the mail, watch it, then take it down to blockbuster and return it, the new one gets mailed and you grab one off the shelves??? if so, i am quitting netflix right now! haha

Rictor
11-05-2006, 06:32 AM
Yes, that's how it works. They used to give you 1 free in-store rental coupon a week. They replaced that with this new program, which for me works out to around 3 free in-store rentals a week, since I'm on the 3 out at a time plan. Also, you still get 1 free in-store rental coupon each month.

So if you watch 3 movies a week on the 3 out at a time plan, you get the 3 mail rentals and 3 in-store rentals if you return them at the store. That's 24 movies a month, plus throw in your 1 extra in-store rental from the coupon. Of course, some people that watch and return their movies the same day and live near a distribution center could probably swing 6 mail rentals a week and 6 in-store rentals a week. I could but I tend to keep movies 2-3 days until Laura has time to watch them with me. Anyway, that would be 48 rentals a month for, I believe, $17.99 plus tax.

Jace
11-05-2006, 06:39 AM
Yes, that's how it works. They used to give you 1 free in-store rental coupon a week. They replaced that with this new program, which for me works out to around 3 free in-store rentals a week, since I'm on the 3 out at a time plan. Also, you still get 1 free in-store rental coupon each month.

So if you watch 3 movies a week on the 3 out at a time plan, you get the 3 mail rentals and 3 in-store rentals if you return them at the store. That's 24 movies a month, plus throw in your 1 extra in-store rental from the coupon. Of course, some people that watch and return their movies the same day and live near a distribution center could probably swing 6 mail rentals a week and 6 in-store rentals a week. I could but I tend to keep movies 2-3 days until Laura has time to watch them with me. Anyway, that would be 48 rentals a month for, I believe, $17.99 plus tax.
yup, damn, I just read their site

that is an amazing plan, and I think netflix is going to have to do something crazy to compete with that

I am cancelling netflix at my next billing and switching to blockbuster...the rentals from netflix are starting to come a little slow anyway, I must have made their frequent renter list

Rictor
11-05-2006, 06:46 AM
Netflix fucked me over big time after the 1 year mark. I was on the 8 out at once plan and I was seeing a 10-day delay between movies. It was getting so ridiculous that I just gave up and switched to Wal-Mart. They kinda sucked at the time (not sure if they still do), as they didn't have unrated versions of movies or certain adult TV series like Oz. Also, my rentals started coming kind of slow from them as well, so I switched to Blockbuster. I have been with them a year or two (I forget), but their service actually got FASTER this spring, as they opened a distribution center here in Indianapolis so my movies aren't coming from Chicago anymore.

I think this whole deal is just a thinly-veiled attempt to put Netflix out of business and it might work, which would be bad, as competition keeps prices down. They have laptops at all Blockbuster stores now, where you can log on to two websites. One is Netflix, so you can cancel your account and the other is Blockbuster Online, so you can sign up. You can also use the laptops to manage and update your queue when you're in the store, so theoretically, you don't even need to own a computer to use Blockbuster Online anymore. You pretty much have to be a retard to not sign up for Blockbuster Online if you rent movies in-store, since Blockbuster charges around $3.50 + tax for a movie rental in most areas (more or less depending on average income of the neighborhood). You only have to get a couple movies a week to make it worthwile.

Jace
12-01-2006, 07:11 PM
I am going to update you all on this

we started with blockbuster 2 weeks ago and it works out GREAT...WAY better than netflix

We got our first two movies, watched them the same night and I ran down to Blockbuster (1 mile away) to return them. They took the movies and I got two more, less than 48 hours later I had new movies in the mail also

so, when you return the MAILED movies to the store, they mark them as returned in your online queue and ship new ones, plus you get a free one in the store for every mailed one you return there

same price as netflix

Jace
12-01-2006, 07:12 PM
OH, and we have a distribution center here in Atlanta, LOL

so, getting new movies being mailed to us hasn't taken longer than a day

Rictor
12-02-2006, 03:47 AM
Yah, I haven't been able to keep up with all the DVDs I've been getting. That's just way too many movies every month. It helps if you read TV seasons rather than movies though, as they're easier to fit into your schedule.

Jace
12-02-2006, 04:00 AM
Yah, I haven't been able to keep up with all the DVDs I've been getting. That's just way too many movies every month. It helps if you read TV seasons rather than movies though, as they're easier to fit into your schedule.
I don't even watch the movies anymore

I just get them from the mail and the blockbuster store, bring them home and rip and burn them and take them back/send them out same day

I have about 20 movies to watch right now, and they keep coming!