PDA

View Full Version : Surfing...

AbulletAway
09-16-2006, 03:34 PM
I always thought surfing would be fun. But, when it comes down to it, I just have no desire to go look like bait on a daily basis. I mean I might take a chance some day and say to myself, "what are the odds of really getting attacked by a shark if I try it this once." It's the same thing I say to myself every time I go to the beach. I might go out in the water once a year. The odds or almost non existent.

However, you like to surf, you go out several times a week. Wow, I just can't imagine the kind of brain damage one must have to do that. I'm watching this guy right now on Discovery. He lost his arm surfing a few years ago. The same old story, he was paddling out on his board, to the Bull shark, from below he looked like food. Any ways, this guy is short one arm. What is he doing? He's still surfing. Brilliant!

He justifies it now buy saying to himself, he did everything wrong. When he was attacked, he was surfing at dusk and he wasn't being that observant. Ok, but when he loses his other arm, I am going to fly to brazil, hunt him down and then laugh at him.

XxXotic
09-16-2006, 03:54 PM
surfing is fun as fuck

AbulletAway
09-16-2006, 04:25 PM
It does look like fun. Getting attacked by a shark doesn't look like fun.

fuzz_bubble
09-16-2006, 09:06 PM
Surfing is great!

Capt. 'rold
09-16-2006, 09:08 PM
depends where you surf...I can't imagine there being too many shark issues off the west coast of Vancouver Island (and maybe washington state), Halifax, etc :2cents:

Reppy
09-16-2006, 10:36 PM
There have been sightings of Bull Sharks in the lake on which I live. Which is 30 metres from my front door.

It's a coastal lake by the way, in case anyone wonders how salt water creatures could be living in a lake.

XxXotic
09-16-2006, 11:44 PM
I never had to worry much about it when I was surfing, East Coast isn't particularly known for shark attacks until you get until the south. Don't think I've ever heard of one on the Jersey shore which is pretty much the only place I surfed regularly

Angel
09-17-2006, 12:17 AM
It's Murphy's law, the one time you go surfing you'll get eaten by a shark just bc you worry about it...and watch lots of other people get attacked by sharks on shark week :lol1:

Seven888
09-17-2006, 06:05 AM
I have always wanted to do it.. one of these days...

Vixxen
09-17-2006, 10:30 AM
I used to go bodyboarding all the time growing up. :)

dizmo
09-17-2006, 12:43 PM
more ppl get hit by cars crossing the road, more ppl get injured in car accidents, more ppl get shot.... do u live a sheltered life in a basement?

AbulletAway
09-17-2006, 02:20 PM
I never had to worry much about it when I was surfing, East Coast isn't particularly known for shark attacks until you get until the south. Don't think I've ever heard of one on the Jersey shore which is pretty much the only place I surfed regularly

One of the most famous attacks happened off the Jersey shore in 1912, it's actually what the book Jaws was loosely based on they say. Over a 12 day period a Bull shark killed a few people off the beach and up some river around there.

Andrew
09-17-2006, 05:01 PM
probably are too many great white sharks where I live in australia.. we lose surfers all the time here

Angel
09-17-2006, 05:37 PM
probably are too many great white sharks where I live in australia.. we lose surfers all the time here
:eek: Why do people get back in the water at all if people get eaten by sharks often out there, I know I wouldn't lol

PMC
09-17-2006, 11:38 PM
i'd try it at least once, can't pussy out of everything.

EyesWideShut
09-18-2006, 12:05 AM
I just enjoy watching other people surf and do all the tricks. I never had the guts to try it myself.