PDA

View Full Version : For paysite: how many scenes to start?

Jerry Y.
01-04-2006, 09:52 PM
If you were going to start a hardcore BG reality site, curious how many scenes to start with. Some folks say some successful sites started with just 5-10. I've heard argued that if you do that you can fall on your face with charge-backs and pricey bandwidth.

Scenes are very expensive ( over 1G each at least), so this is an important issue.

( I'm playing with idea -- if had just 5-10 scenes starting) to offer the scenes and photo set ala carte --perhaps $3.95 each--in addition to a month fee... it could make the monthly fee more attractive) thanks.

XxXotic
01-04-2006, 11:10 PM
I'd say at least 20, minimum. (and i'm lowballing this guess, I wouldnt start with any less then 20 plus at least 3+ months worth of updates in my bag in case something happens and new content can't be shot when needed) Sure u can launch with 5-10 but you wont get any rebills (unless someone forgets to cancel) and will most likely have more chargebacks then your processor will allow you to get away with.

Lee2
01-05-2006, 09:36 AM
We started with ermmmmm.... about 15 or 16 I think, cant recall exactly but now we are up to 40.

spideriux
01-05-2006, 10:02 AM
about 15, I think....

smokin Filipe
01-05-2006, 03:29 PM
you can start with 12 and do good but if you have only that forget rebills

Mr. Goat
01-05-2006, 03:43 PM
A lot depends on how often you plan to update..

you start with around 10 and update weekly i dont see a problem

Jerry Y.
01-05-2006, 11:19 PM
XXotic:
thanks for excellent reply. Damn, 20, that a lot, huge amount of time and money...but I guess if it was easy everyone would do it (and everyone is doing it!) -- What Would do you call a month of updates? how many. Industry standard is like 1 per week. Man it's a scary thing, as you have to quickly make enough money to justify going on.

Have new idea, which may put on anothter thread: idea of staring out with just scenes/photo sets ala cart at $3.95. I see that elsewhere sometimes -- until you get more content.

Others:
thanks for equally good replies! what do you think is "minimum" for updates, and what do you think of the ala carte idea just mentioned.

XxXotic
01-05-2006, 11:45 PM
XXotic:
thanks for excellent reply. Damn, 20, that a lot, huge amount of time and money...but I guess if it was easy everyone would do it (and everyone is doing it!) -- What Would do you call a month of updates? how many. Industry standard is like 1 per week. Man it's a scary thing, as you have to quickly make enough money to justify going on.

yeah, but launching paysites cost money, and provided you do it right you should have no trouble making your money back. The reason I say 20 is that if I joined a site that updated once a week and only had 10 sets in it, i'd cancel my membership immediately and probably charge back, depending on what price you charged for membership. The 3 months worth of updates are more a precautionary measure then anything. If your photographer gets ill, goes on vacation, picks up another client that he's gotta shoot 30 hours for, you might not get the content you want when you want it. Soon as you start missing updates members will start cancelling. So it's always good to have a couple months worth already in the bag