PDA

View Full Version : 2257 and Yahoo Groups?

Jace
06-21-2005, 03:07 PM
I guess the title asks everything

what will happen with Yahoo Groups, do I need to worry...I have already started removing my hardcore images from the files and photos bins

anyway, what is everyone's opinions...and AJ, if you are still here, what is your advice on this...

I have over 100 groups and they bring me in a nice chunk of change each month and would hate to get in trouble over something like them...but I figured since yahoo hosts them and officially owns them, i don't need to worry to much

A.J. Comparetto
06-21-2005, 04:00 PM
Not familar with the business model you are using on yahoo groups...please explain.

A.J. Comparetto, Esq.
www.adultsitelaw.com

darkraven
06-21-2005, 07:41 PM
JaceXXX how do you promote your yahoo groups?

Jace
06-21-2005, 09:00 PM
Not familar with the business model you are using on yahoo groups...please explain.

A.J. Comparetto, Esq.
www.adultsitelaw.com

basically, you have a group that yahoo hosts...people join up, sort of like a forum or bulletin board, but it also acts as a mail server too for a mailing list, so all the users of the group can send to one address and it goes to all members

but the part that I am wondering about is, the photos, files, etc...

here is an example of one of my groups, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Avy-Scott/

it is all hosted on yahoo.com, so do I need to worry about it, or should I wait for yahoo to take care of it, since technically I am just a moderator of the group and don't legally own anything there. I do however have things posted on the front page of the site that I make money from

Jace
06-21-2005, 09:08 PM
JaceXXX how do you promote your yahoo groups?

i run www.yahooxgroups.com, plus I also promote through all the other groups...then i place links to my other groups in my links sections...etc etc

I try not to spam other groups too much, i would rather people find my group on their own, member that find my groups on their own and aren't forced to join seem to be way more productive...

darkraven
06-21-2005, 10:52 PM
i run www.yahooxgroups.com, plus I also promote through all the other groups...then i place links to my other groups in my links sections...etc etc

I try not to spam other groups too much, i would rather people find my group on their own, member that find my groups on their own and aren't forced to join seem to be way more productive...

I tried running some yahoo groups before, they weren't the most profitable but then again I didn't run as many as you do. Still trying to figure out how not to get them banned :-)

btw do you do content updates pretty often to your groups? I seen some groups send out daily hosted gals but then others like the rabbits reviews network of groups - don't update their content at all.

rockslammer
06-22-2005, 01:15 PM
If Yahoo disclaims content ( they probably do) then is real murky.

Just who is the publisher? A court would have to define/rule on that possibly based on the Yahoo TOS agreement etc.

"Commercial" is in the CFR 75 Rules.
Yahoo probably in the TOS prohibits "Commercial" use.
So Yahoo screams TOS violation “No Mia Culpa” !
;

Jace
06-22-2005, 01:36 PM
I tried running some yahoo groups before, they weren't the most profitable but then again I didn't run as many as you do. Still trying to figure out how not to get them banned :-)

btw do you do content updates pretty often to your groups? I seen some groups send out daily hosted gals but then others like the rabbits reviews network of groups - don't update their content at all.

I don't update my groups barely at all, I let the members do that...I will change the front page every so often, but rarely

i have never had one yahoo group banned...just keep to their rules, don't post explicit pics on the front page, don't spam your groups, and don't get too nasty with what is posted...you do have to moderate a little to keep people from posting too much shit that can get you banned..but I have never, not once, had a group shut down or banned

Jace
06-22-2005, 01:41 PM
If Yahoo disclaims content ( they probably do) then is real murky.

Just who is the publisher? A court would have to define/rule on that possibly based on the Yahoo TOS agreement etc.

"Commercial" is in the CFR 75 Rules.
Yahoo probably in the TOS prohibits "Commercial" use.
So Yahoo screams TOS violation “No Mia Culpa” !
;

yahoo claims that they are not responsible for anything that is posted using their services, ever....but i think with the new 2257 laws a court won't uphold that...at least according to how the new laws are written

but then one could also say that yahoo groups types of services are exempt, just like forums like this and gfy are

as for advertising, this is in their TOS

The Service may provide, or third parties may provide, links to other World Wide Web sites or resources. Because Yahoo! has no control over such sites and resources, you acknowledge and agree that Yahoo! is not responsible for the availability of such external sites or resources, and does not endorse and is not responsible or liable for any Content, advertising, products, or other materials on or available from such sites or resources. You further acknowledge and agree that Yahoo! shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any such Content, goods or services available on or through any such site or resource.

now that is for the end user, but it kind of touches on that if I as a group owner put up links for my profit, that the end user can't go after yahoo for links that I put up

rockslammer
06-22-2005, 07:32 PM
Really, that is a civil notice on non-liability. It will be interesting to see what effect 2257 has on Yahoo, Google and other search indexing companies, especially in relation to image search.
;

A.J. Comparetto
06-27-2005, 03:33 PM
Really, that is a civil notice on non-liability. It will be interesting to see what effect 2257 has on Yahoo, Google and other search indexing companies, especially in relation to image search.
;
Great point!