PDA

View Full Version : Ebay scam!

JenC
11-26-2004, 06:46 PM
Bastards! I don't know if anyone sells anything here on Ebay, but I do occasionally and I almost got scammed and I guess it's a common thing happening on Ebay lately.

What happens is someone overseas is the highest bid on your auction and after they win it they write an email that says: "I'm gonna pay for the item with a cashier's check but I'm gonna write it for $1000.00 over the actual amount. Someone will come by and pick up the item, but please wire the $1000.00 back to me so that I can pay my assistant to pick it up and ship it to me."

Well that really smelled fishy to me. Why can't I just get the cashiers check and cash it and give the money to the guy when he comes to get the item? Why do I have to wire it? Apparently some people are stupid enough to fall for this and they wire thousands of dollars back to the "buyer". Obviously no one ever comes to pick the item up.

And the cashiers check? Well it turns out that they are pre-approved for the bank and your bank will tell you that they are good checks, when in reality after 7 days they are bad checks and the bank will take the funds back out of your bank account. I don't really understand that part but that's how it works.

Scary.

asuna
11-26-2004, 06:50 PM
Very Scary, i try to buy only in canada when I can

Sherm
11-26-2004, 07:57 PM
Hmm... Generally, I ONLY accept Paypal. Also, if a check is sent, I make sure to cash it before shipping anything out. That is a fishy scam. I'd definitly question the person as to why he doesn't just pay them up front.

I'm sorry this was directed towards you. Why can'r people just play by the rules?

JenC
11-26-2004, 08:05 PM
Hmm... Generally, I ONLY accept Paypal. Also, if a check is sent, I make sure to cash it before shipping anything out. That is a fishy scam. I'd definitly question the person as to why he doesn't just pay them up front.

Well that's the whole thing of this scam! As I'm told about it from ebay's message forum, they send a cashier's check (not a personal check) and when you go to the bank, somehow the bank says it's cleared and okay to send the merchandise.

However about 7 days later it comes back to the bank and then in effect they debit your account for the money they've lost.

Personally, it sounds like the bank's problem to me. If they tell me a check is good, then it should be THEIR loss if it isn't. Besides, aren't cashier's checks supposed to be fool proof? That's why people accept them who won't accept personal checks......but like I said above, I don't really understand that part.

Goblin
11-26-2004, 08:28 PM
yeah another reason to not accept checks on ebay i accept paypal or moneybookers payment only :)