PDA

View Full Version : Video To Gif Help Needed

Thundergasm
05-09-2013, 01:52 PM
We want to take some footage of our videos and turn them into short animated GIFS for use on sites like Tumblr and sex dot com. We have tried Photoshop and a couple other animation programs. While all do nice work, we are running into issues with file size.

We would like the final gif to be in the 400px to 500px to stand out a little more. The problem is even when we pull out frames and mess with the bitrate etc, the files sit at 2 to 4mb which is way to large, plus they look choppy due to taking out so many frames.

Is this just the nature of GIFS to be large and for best results they need to be small physically to keep file size low, or are we doing something wrong here? Rather frustrating considering this isn't exactly rocket science.

Anybody have ideas?

Thanks

facialfreak
05-09-2013, 06:36 PM
When making GIFs out of video clips, there are 3 factors that affect file size:

1) number of colors, 2) number of frames, and 3) the physical size of image ...

Somewhere along the line, you will have to sacrifice 1, 2, or all 3 of these to some degree.

Remember that most video is 25-30fps .... but the human eye can see full motion in as little as 15fps ... (or 12 if you are REALLY good and can find the right frames to remove while tricking the human eye into seeing it a a fluid motion)

I used to make a lot of these said GIFs, and a big trick is finding frames that you can remove and still keep the general fluidity of the animation.

Mr. Goat
05-09-2013, 10:49 PM
as facial freak said... onemain factor is 3) the physical size of image ...

generally with gifs people expect and are okay with much smaller images in terms of its dimensions so drop it down some and dont stress so much :)

Thundergasm
05-10-2013, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the replies. What facial said....and in a very understandable way for me.....was kind of what I suspected, but I thought maybe there was a work around.

My skills are not that good yet to pick frames that would not hurt quality to take out, so I'm thinking size of image will sacrifice for the time being until I get better at it.

Thanks!

Aišo
05-11-2013, 01:41 AM
My skills are not that good yet to pick frames that would not hurt quality to take out, so I'm thinking size of image will sacrifice for the time being until I get better at it.

The first thing you will want to do is make a new video at 15 fps that is just for making your gif, this will dramatically cut down in the # of frames you have to go thru, you can also make the video a smaller size, and if your program allows for it, lower color profile. Then what you do is look for frames that are identical, or close to it, with little or no movement between the two or more, then delete all but one (the clearest) of those. Also look for frames with lost focus & motion blurs.

IMPORTANT: Save Multiple copies as you work, so you can go back to one that may have more frames than the next, incase you're not happy with the results of the gif, and won't have to start all over.

grzepa
05-13-2013, 10:27 AM
from your experience: what's the most common used/best lenght of the gif ? I mean how many seconds of video should I cut from the original video to make a gif?

Thundergasm
05-13-2013, 12:07 PM
The first thing you will want to do is make a new video at 15 fps that is just for making your gif, this will dramatically cut down in the # of frames you have to go thru, you can also make the video a smaller size, and if your program allows for it, lower color profile. Then what you do is look for frames that are identical, or close to it, with little or no movement between the two or more, then delete all but one (the clearest) of those. Also look for frames with lost focus & motion blurs.

IMPORTANT: Save Multiple copies as you work, so you can go back to one that may have more frames than the next, incase you're not happy with the results of the gif, and won't have to start all over.

Hmmm....cool. I will give that a shot. The video is rendered in Sony Vegas, and I have been using Photoshop to do the GIF in, so I should be able to do all of those.

facialfreak
05-28-2013, 10:53 PM
Just curious how the OP made out with this in the end?