PDA

View Full Version : Scratch Tickets.

Mr. Goat
04-25-2013, 10:31 AM
I have always wanted to go spend $200 buying just $1 scratch tickets and see if I would win my money back or more or just lose it... I know the prizes are always a lot smaller with them but buying so many figure you might have some good odds at getting some winners?

Truthfully I figure when its said and done probably would break even or be up or down give or take $20

Anyone elver done this? Its some strange idea I have had for some time but have never done it! :what:

Toby
04-25-2013, 10:54 AM
If you make back half of your original $200 you've done above average.

Panky
04-25-2013, 11:25 AM
I never bought a scratch ticket or a lottery ticket. It just doesn't appeal to me.

Mr. Goat
04-25-2013, 11:35 AM
If you make back half of your original $200 you've done above average.

Think so? even with $1 tickets?

I think the most I have ever bought with them was maybe 5-10$ and there always tends to be a few winners! Sometimes just $1 other times 2-3 ...

Mr. Goat
04-25-2013, 11:36 AM
I never bought a scratch ticket or a lottery ticket. It just doesn't appeal to me.

I dont buy them often either but the odd time I do if its a big lottery or we are going for a long drive and I need something to do in the car I'll buy some scratch tickets.

Panky
04-25-2013, 11:47 AM
we are going for a long drive and I need something to do in the car

Scratch tickets are what like 1-2 minutes of entertainment... lol

smiley
04-25-2013, 11:49 AM
I dont buy them often either but the odd time I do if its a big lottery or we are going for a long drive and I need something to do in the car I'll buy some scratch tickets.

Pimp$...you know the guy that handles that cash...

im with you, id like to do that one day as well just to see...but knowing its gambling, then the house if always in favor...in this case the state...so for 200 bucks id bet that youd prob win 100, be down 100....but there is that off chance that you hit that 10,000 ticket...

go for it...200bucks to a pimp like yourself is what a months worth of cupcakes :lo1l:...

i say do it....do it....come do it...you know you want to....

smiley
04-25-2013, 11:51 AM

2mins x 200 = 400mins /60 6+hrs of fun...even half that 3hrs of entertainment with teh chance of willing it big....but man that car would be covered in that silver shit and unlucky tickets..lol

Panky
04-25-2013, 11:54 AM
Pimp$...you know the guy that handles that cash...

im with you, id like to do that one day as well just to see...but knowing its gambling, then the house if always in favor...in this case the state...so for 200 bucks id bet that youd prob win 100, be down 100....but there is that off chance that you hit that 10,000 ticket...

go for it...200bucks to a pimp like yourself is what a months worth of cupcakes :lo1l:...

You're such a bad influence. His wife won't let you two interact anymore if she finds out you encouraged him. :P

DarkWeb
04-25-2013, 12:13 PM
When we had the delli we wanted to bring in the lottery to bring in more biz..........just so happens I found out you can buy more expensive scratch off packs "winners" to bring in more biz. So if you have the money dude do it but I wouldn't unless you go to some hole in the wall inner city bodega that wants to stand out........and then do you really want to go to a place like that and throw 200 bills around? Just sayin........

Mr. Goat
04-25-2013, 12:13 PM

the cheap ones yes but when you buy a $3 BINGO or Crossword etc they can last for some time depending on how fast you want to rush and scratch etc.. though there are some that are 5-10 and even 20$ that are done in 10 seconds as its just a scratch and match shit..

Toby
04-25-2013, 01:59 PM
Think so? even with $1 tickets?
Go to your local lottery web site and check the details for each of the $1 games. It should give enough information to determine an average payout.

I checked one of the $1 games for Texas. Top prize for that game was $777. There are 150 tickets per packet as delivered to the stores. Payout per packet guaranteed to be at least $79. Out of 11.26 million tickets sold for that game through April 24 there were 1157 tickets cashed for more than $20. Not great odds. If the top prize is higher the number of lower value prices are reduced.

It's random chance and the odds are heavily in favor of the house.

smiley
04-25-2013, 02:04 PM
do it man...we know you want to...

come on...where is your sense of adventure, your gamblin' urge...come on...do it...do it!

smiley
04-25-2013, 02:04 PM
but like Toby said...odds are really in favor of the state....maybe try the $5 ones...

whats 200 bucks to a pimp like yourself...

see how bad an influence i am...:lol1:

DarkWeb
04-25-2013, 02:22 PM
lol yeah do it..........tell us how it goes......

PurrsianPussyKat
04-25-2013, 03:40 PM
Note to self... Never take Smilie to Vegas with you.

dgchi
04-25-2013, 06:51 PM
I've done similar before, I think with $50 to start out, scratched them all, then cashed the winners and bought tickets with that, then scratched those and then cashed and rebought, and so on and so on, and then end up at $0 after awhile, it was entertaining though

idolbucks
04-25-2013, 07:36 PM
Get $200 in 1 dollar bills. Throw it into a crowd of people. That'll provide more entertainment than the scratch tickets.

MP
04-25-2013, 08:14 PM
I never did the lottery as I feel it's a scam but why not I'll pitch in 100.00 bucks and we split what happens?

Mr. Goat
04-25-2013, 10:04 PM
I never did the lottery as I feel it's a scam but why not I'll pitch in 100.00 bucks and we split what happens?

Nice... DONE! :eek3:

I'll buy them this weekend! :turbo:

dgchi
04-25-2013, 10:08 PM
Nice... DONE! :eek3:

I'll buy them this weekend! :turbo:

if you get say $220 back or say $130 back, will you reinvest and go for another round?

Mr. Goat
04-25-2013, 10:14 PM
if you get say $220 back or say $130 back, will you reinvest and go for another round?

These are things i'll have to discuss with my business partner in this endeavor but my thought is... anything over the 200 reinvest and take back your original ... if you fall under 200 reinvest it all back in more tickets!!!!!

Panky
04-25-2013, 10:18 PM

You're awfully trusting. lol!

PMC
04-25-2013, 10:29 PM
i think you would have better odds with Nevadas, 50cents per ticket.

MP
04-25-2013, 10:32 PM
We should place some bets on the outcome!

Aišo
04-25-2013, 10:38 PM
Give me $100 I'll kick you in the nuts and save you $100

Footman
04-25-2013, 11:39 PM
lol - I've got better things to do with my $200 and the time wasted scratching them clean.

PurrsianPussyKat
04-26-2013, 12:48 AM
All mailman needs is $200 and a dream! :giggle:

Reppy
04-26-2013, 04:44 AM
I need something to do in the car I'll buy some scratch tickets.

When I need something to do in the car I scratch my nuts.

Reppy
04-26-2013, 04:45 AM
Get $200 in 1 dollar bills. Throw it into a crowd of people. That'll provide more entertainment than the scratch tickets.

In Australia we don't have notes, we have coins.

That would actually be quite entertaining to see, people getting hit with handfuls of gold coins.

Paul&John
04-26-2013, 04:50 AM
I've done it a few years ago.. bought tickets for around 50-100 euros, and i won back around the half, then bought another batch for that cash and again got back the half and so on :D

Aišo
04-26-2013, 07:46 AM
Lottery Tickets aren't called the Idiot Tax for no reason.

Mr. Goat
04-26-2013, 08:16 AM
i think you would have better odds with Nevadas, 50cents per ticket.

I have tried thoes thing a few times never had any luck ... other than maybe $1 here and there, my old neighbor on the other hand dude cleans up on them seems like he wins the $750 prize or more every few months.

Mr. Goat
04-26-2013, 08:17 AM
All mailman needs is $200 and a dream! :giggle:

I live a simple life.

smiley
04-26-2013, 12:00 PM
do it do it do it...grab the tickets & a Tim Horton sausage egg bagel and coffee and scratch like the time you had crabs

and for all the haters...whats the harm, some innocent fun that has potential to win it big...especially since now its split between two ppl....

smiley
04-26-2013, 12:02 PM
Note to self... Never take Smilie to Vegas with you.

:)

actually in Vegas im pretty good...i can do an evening in Vegas for 30 bucks..and that includes gambling, drinking & strip clubs....granted thats the local evening and not some high roller bro evening...

Mr. Goat
04-26-2013, 12:57 PM
do it do it do it...grab the tickets & a Tim Horton sausage egg bagel and coffee and scratch like the time you had crabs

and for all the haters...whats the harm, some innocent fun that has potential to win it big...especially since now its split between two ppl....

Exactly... not like I'm going balls deep with 10K on scratch tickets..

I always just wonder if you have some better odds of winning more when buying in bulk as its funny to think when you buy 1 or 2 you get to choose you tickets where this way you get to take all of them! LIKE A BOSS!

DarkWeb
04-26-2013, 07:40 PM
Do it!

Mr. Goat
04-27-2013, 08:47 AM
Do it!

Doing it today on my way home from Toronto later this afternoon! Pics will come!

MP
04-27-2013, 10:50 AM
I can retire soon!

John-ACWM
04-27-2013, 10:52 AM
You're such a bad influence. His wife won't let you two interact anymore if she finds out you encouraged him. :P
:lol1:

PMC
04-28-2013, 01:13 PM
i bet you wont break even, should have done Nevada!

PurrsianPussyKat
04-28-2013, 03:15 PM
Waiting for the "reveal"!

Reppy
04-28-2013, 06:34 PM
Go to your local lottery web site and check the details for each of the $1 games. It should give enough information to determine an average payout.

I checked one of the $1 games for Texas. Top prize for that game was $777. There are 150 tickets per packet as delivered to the stores. Payout per packet guaranteed to be at least $79. Out of 11.26 million tickets sold for that game through April 24 there were 1157 tickets cashed for more than $20. Not great odds. If the top prize is higher the number of lower value prices are reduced.

It's random chance and the odds are heavily in favor of the house.

When Toby breaks out the calculator it's time to listen up!

If your odds increased by buying a bulk load of scratch tickets then everyone would do it. And then they'd make it so it wouldn't be a quick way to get rich.

I couldn't find the info on wikipedia (I'm sure that's where I originally read it) but at reddit there's a page titled this: Voltaire became independently wealthy by exploiting a mathematical flaw in the 1728 French lottery.

Then there was this:

"There was a story on some subreddit a year ago or so, about a statistician who found a flaw in a scratch-off lottery. However, he also calculated that if he did nothing but buy and scratch winning tickets he still wouldn't make as much as in his job as a statistics consultant for the mining industry."

Footman
04-28-2013, 07:17 PM
I just saw on the Sunday Morning show with Charles Osgood, a guy who is a full time lottery player. He's won the lotto 7 times... he says. But he did say one thing that made sense. When he goes to buy the scratch off tix he goes to their website first and checks out what has been paid out already. Since they're all pre-made, they know the EXACT odds of picking a winning ticket.... When none have been sold. As soon as winners start to cash in the odds change. He won't buy certain scratch off games if the big payouts are already gone. Makes sense if you got the time to run the numbers. At least if you;re going to play these games seriously then you may as well take it seriously and do shit like that.

Aišo
04-28-2013, 09:46 PM
My friend used to buy a lot of WA State Scratch tickets, like a lot, and he wouldn't even bother scratching them, you can tell by the serial # if it's a winner or not and for how much, so he would just scratch that little bit off and leave the rest. We noticed that winners were usually all grouped together in like groups of 5, so if he got one winner the next few would usually be winners too.

Mr. Goat
04-29-2013, 08:40 AM
My friend used to buy a lot of WA State Scratch tickets, like a lot, and he wouldn't even bother scratching them, you can tell by the serial # if it's a winner or not and for how much, so he would just scratch that little bit off and leave the rest. We noticed that winners were usually all grouped together in like groups of 5, so if he got one winner the next few would usually be winners too.

Our tickets use to be the same way... by the serial bar there would be a bunch of numbers and then maybe some letters like AA DD etc... when you had letters you were a winner but if you had 2 triangles you were a loser. Now keep in mind you have to scratch an area to uncover these clues but it was far to easy to cheat the system if you were good at it just nicking the right area to see where most people would not notice the little scratch if buying 1-2 tickets so they changed it now where its all just a bar code you have to uncover and from there you can scan the bar codes in a machine to see if you win.

Soooo many times in the past id just scratch the code area to see if I got letters or triangles :) good times.