PDA

View Full Version : Working seo for others dilemma

iggysick
01-23-2012, 06:36 AM
Ok,here's the deal for last couple of months I'm doing seo for one dude and I'm paid for full time job. I was working on one group of his sites and in 3 months tripled his traffic but he never wanted me to work on his main site and he kept it as secret to me.
Last week his main site lost big-g rank so he finally asked me to work on it and get back rank. Now,I did keyword research,checked competition,collected almost all their link back sources and made a plan how to get his site back where it was. As matter of fact he was 3rd but when I did research I discovered that it not so hard to get to the top within couple of months. Actually I was surprised how weak competition is in that niche because traffic is ok and average cpc (it mainstream site) is like above half euro.

And here is my dilemma:now I have like a blue print to get to the top in that niche but I am paid by him to get his site to the top. He openly said to me that he kept his site as secret because he don't wanted me for competition although I don't see a problem if I,for example,get 2nd or 3rd position and his site 1st. Or his site 2nd or 3rd because he only asked me to get his site back where it was: to 3rd position.

Your thoughts on his?

the Shemp
01-23-2012, 07:40 AM
do you have a written contract with him and if so, are you to work exclusisvely on his sites only...?

iggysick
01-23-2012, 08:17 AM
do you have a written contract with him and if so, are you to work exclusisvely on his sites only...?

No contract and when we made a deal we agreed that I will work on my sites too but still... For last 12 months I am heavily into mainstream sites and learning seo and one of things I've learned that 50% of success is to find a niche or keyword phrase with nice traffic,nice cpc and low competition and he basically provided me that and,trust me,to explain this niche to someone I would ask 1000$ upfront.

Lipshtick Lady
01-23-2012, 08:28 AM
if you have to ask then you already know you have an ethical dilemma... it depends on how much you can live...

Mr. Goat
01-23-2012, 10:28 AM
Seems like a total dick move to get paid by a guy only to take his money and fuck him by getting him back to number 3 and then trying for yourself to take over the top spots. No wonder he wanted to keep it quiet, seem like the first instinct he had was correct.

I think this is where some ethics should come into play and not use your position as someone he hired to become his competition. If anything get him to number one and suggest your services long term to help keep him there.

iggysick
01-23-2012, 10:40 AM
Seems like a total dick move to get paid by a guy only to take his money and fuck him by getting him back to number 3 and then trying for yourself to take over the top spots. No wonder he wanted to keep it quiet, seem like the first instinct he had was correct.

I think this is where some ethics should come into play and not use your position as someone he hired to become his competition. If anything get him to number one and suggest your services long term to help keep him there.

Well, I will get him to 3rd position and if we make a deal keep him there and I don't see how I would fuck him over if I deliver what I promised to deliver. Yes,I have doubts but when we talked about job we agreed that I would continue to work on my sites too.

Now,the new question is: he will get what he paid for and why would be problem for him if I have 2nd or 3rd position? That isn't money from his pocket because he would remain when he was previously.

faxxaff
01-23-2012, 02:30 PM
It's a conflict of interest. You can either work for him or for yourself on that niche/keyword imho. There are so many other niches and keywords to try and find.

Aišo
01-23-2012, 02:43 PM
what would make you more? Him paying you, or you doing a site? You can't do both though. There is a reason why SEO people get paid so much, hopefully he is paying you enough to make it worth your time.