PDA

View Full Version : I Need Your Opinions And Criticisms Of This Blog

mikesinner
12-03-2011, 07:59 PM
Don't worry about the video. I messed up on the first one. In the future I will probably have other youtube users doing the contests videos.

http://endthedisease.tumblr.com/

I have many posts coming up this month.

Aišo
12-03-2011, 10:42 PM
After everything you've posted over the years, contests, blogs, videos, etc... I still have absolutely no idea what it is you are doing or what disease you are trying to end.

mikesinner
12-03-2011, 11:31 PM
After everything you've posted over the years, contests, blogs, videos, etc... I still have absolutely no idea what it is you are doing or what disease you are trying to end.

I usually just say cancer or aids because it something people recognize. In reality wcg has done a lot in the fight against close to a dozen disease. The research they are doing with help us solve the worlds energy problems and find a cheap way to convert salt water into fresh water. In short you are helping the cause of science more than curing any particular disease.

Aišo
12-03-2011, 11:37 PM
I usually just say cancer or aids because it something people recognize. In reality wcg has done a lot in the fight against close to a dozen disease. The research they are doing with help us solve the worlds energy problems and find a cheap way to convert salt water into fresh water. In short you are helping the cause of science more than curing any particular disease.

Well, I think your main problem is that no one knows what you are talking about or what wcg even is, maybe you should focus a little bit on that so people know. Calling a blog End the Disease and have a game give-away contest doesn't really make much sense.

Even with what you said just know, I still have no clue what it is.

mikesinner
12-03-2011, 11:52 PM
Well, I think your main problem is that no one knows what you are talking about or what wcg even is, maybe you should focus a little bit on that so people know. Calling a blog End the Disease and have a game give-away contest doesn't really make much sense.

Even with what you said just know, I still have no clue what it is.

I think the problem has more to do with laziness. The links explaining what wcg is are the first thing on the blog post. If your not willing to visit those links and do some reading/video watching you won't get it.

I think for the average webmaster a chance to win a $30-40 game is not worth the effort.

Reppy
12-04-2011, 12:16 AM
I think the problem has more to do with laziness.
I think the problem is a lack of effective communication.

Mr. Goat
12-04-2011, 12:20 AM
I still don't get your commitment to promoting WCG so much?

Just out of the goodness of your heart or what?

:what:

mikesinner
12-04-2011, 12:20 AM
I think the problem is a lack of effective communication.

Do you really think that? I mean the podcast video alone should explain it pretty well. I mean seriously, do you really think that. Do you think I should just cut and paste text when it has already been explained by the scientists that invented the program better than I anyone could?

mikesinner
12-04-2011, 12:21 AM
I still don't get your commitment to promoting WCG so much?

Just out of the goodness of your heart or what?

:what:

It's science!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aišo
12-04-2011, 12:28 AM
I think the problem has more to do with laziness. The links explaining what wcg is are the first thing on the blog post. If your not willing to visit those links and do some reading/video watching you won't get it.

I think for the average webmaster a chance to win a $30-40 game is not worth the effort.

Ya, that's it. Laziness. Because just posting links, rather than taking the time to explain it yourself is a sure sign of not being lazy. :what:

I think your contest and rules are so fucking confusing and make no sense, that no one even knows how to enter to win.

mikesinner
12-04-2011, 12:49 AM
Ya, that's it. Laziness. Because just posting links, rather than taking the time to explain it yourself is a sure sign of not being lazy. :what:

I think your contest and rules are so fucking confusing and make no sense, that no one even knows how to enter to win.

you also have to understand that the rules are a posted link "from" the youtube video.

Reppy
12-04-2011, 12:52 AM
It's science!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's lazy answer.

And no doubt still leaves Mailman (and the rest of us) wondering why you support it so much.

mikesinner
12-04-2011, 12:57 AM
That's lazy answer.

And no doubt still leaves Mailman (and the rest of us) wondering why you support it so much.

A future with solar paint that comes in a can and is biodegradable. You can put it on anything and it will absorb a much higher percentage of solar rays than anything available today. Maybe even living matter that can do this. Can you imagine grass and trees that absorb more solar energy than they need to live and pass on the excess to underground batteries?

A cure for every form of cancer.

Never growing old because we have figured out why proteins fold and how to prevent it or reverse it?

JAI-LING
12-04-2011, 01:28 AM
What do we win if we can decipher the blog? Is this like the word puzzle British Spy Agency has up trying to recruit new spies? Figure it out and get a job?

JAI-LING
12-04-2011, 01:38 AM
What do we win if we can decipher the blog? Is this like the word puzzle British Spy Agency has up trying to recruit new spies? Figure it out and get a job?

Was editing when i hit time limit

What do we win if we can decipher the blog? Is this like the word puzzle British Spy Agency has up trying to recruit new spies? Figure it out and get a job? What "problem" doe the blog solve?

1. Are there not better info sources than wiki? Your target audience thinks wiki is a joke. That's a problem.

I like the idea of what you are trying to do. However, wcg is a little unnerving for the common person using internet at home. Its is best suited for people with machines at universities. Why? Anyone with a pc who leaves it idle on the internet is prone to attack. IBM being apart of the mix is not encouraging for me either. That's like welcoming the US Gov in to your house. IBM is pretty notoriously bad.

Way too much text. IMages, graphics and videos are much better.

Panky
12-04-2011, 01:48 AM
Did you ever make good on anything offered through your contests / incentives before when you promoted this thing or did previous attempts at drawing webmasters in just kind of fizzle out and die over time? It just seems like there's a lot of posting in the beginning and then posting declines as time goes on. Like people lose interest, including you, because things seem not to go as planned, this stuff just drags on, or whatever reason(s), and nothing actually really happens. Maybe it isn't like that and I just missed webmasters chatting about it and being excited about it, posting about receiving incentives, or announcing they crunched (X) amount of data in a given time frame boosting them to a certain level in project stats and your contest stats.

The way that you explain things is poor at times. It's not always clear. I understand what a grid is and uses, but your explanation to webmasters, especially about the details of your contests, often get confusing.

You are asking webmasters to participate and instead of explaining the WCG and why webmasters should participate, you include a bunch of links and expect people to go read them. You're not giving webmasters, or people in general, a reason why they should actually take time to read the linked information and why they should bother to participate. Instead, you just tell them they are lazy because they haven't or won't read the linked information. Why should they? Why should they participate under you instead of going solo or joining up with someone else? If you expect anyone to take this project and you seriously, you might want to consider actually talking to people through your blog and board postings as humans instead of insulting people and expecting them just to read linked content because that's what you want them to do.

mikesinner
12-04-2011, 02:56 AM
Did you ever make good on anything offered through your contests / incentives before when you promoted this thing or did previous attempts at drawing webmasters in just kind of fizzle out and die over time? It just seems like there's a lot of posting in the beginning and then posting declines as time goes on. Like people lose interest, including you, because things seem not to go as planned, this stuff just drags on, or whatever reason(s), and nothing actually really happens. Maybe it isn't like that and I just missed webmasters chatting about it and being excited about it, posting about receiving incentives, or announcing they crunched (X) amount of data in a given time frame boosting them to a certain level in project stats and your contest stats.

The way that you explain things is poor at times. It's not always clear. I understand what a grid is and uses, but your explanation to webmasters, especially about the details of your contests, often get confusing.

You are asking webmasters to participate and instead of explaining the WCG and why webmasters should participate, you include a bunch of links and expect people to go read them. You're not giving webmasters, or people in general, a reason why they should actually take time to read the linked information and why they should bother to participate. Instead, you just tell them they are lazy because they haven't or won't read the linked information. Why should they? Why should they participate under you instead of going solo or joining up with someone else? If you expect anyone to take this project and you seriously, you might want to consider actually talking to people through your blog and board postings as humans instead of insulting people and expecting them just to read linked content because that's what you want them to do.

I think i understand what you're saying. Let me try making a new post for that.

Aišo
12-04-2011, 03:09 AM
and you would be better off giving a gift card or something, than a game that no one but me wants to play.

dgchi
12-04-2011, 03:33 AM
sorry, I didn't click, because I am boycotting tumblr

tumblr sucks

яochard
12-04-2011, 04:17 AM
Do you really think that? I mean the podcast video alone should explain it pretty well. I mean seriously, do you really think that. Do you think I should just cut and paste text when it has already been explained by the scientists that invented the program better than I anyone could?

The message is gone. Surfers should instantly know exactly what the blog is about. If it's not clear in the first five seconds, something is wrong, and that seems to be the case here. You need a bigger header and under it should be text about "end cancer" and "end hiv" and "end lupus".

None of our business really.

All of us know know someone who's died of one of the major diseases. My wife's family has lost their son to Lupus, her younger brother survived cancer, and her mom just lost a breast to breast cancer. My guess is that he lost someone close to him to one of the major diseases.

With my sister's brother who died of Lupus, I donate money to the Lupus Foundation every year. I only met him once but I'll never forget it. I asked him how he was doing and he told me that in the past month he's lost both legs and his hand, but otherwise he was fine.

Reppy
12-04-2011, 05:51 AM
None of our business really.
It is if he wants to excite potential recruits to rally to his cause.

Reppy
12-04-2011, 05:51 AM

tumblr sucks

You make me LOL.

Buncha
12-04-2011, 07:47 AM
Put a Mission Statement in the "End The Disease" box on the top right. Right now it just says, "Spreading the word about world community grid". Write up 2-3 concise paragraphs about what the WCG does, why people should support it and what you hope to accomplish.

The message is gone. Surfers should instantly know exactly what the blog is about. If it's not clear in the first five seconds, something is wrong, and that seems to be the case here. You need a bigger header and under it should be text about "end cancer" and "end hiv" and "end lupus".

+1

You really need something that grabs people's attention and gets the message across immediately. If I had to describe my first impression it would be confusion mixed with boredom.

I'd also try to break-up the long walls of text. That can be a turn-off. I don't know if Tumblr has a Read More feature where only the first paragraph appears on the home page and surfers can click through to the post page for the full article.

Panky
12-04-2011, 10:57 AM
It is if he wants to excite potential recruits to rally to his cause.

Exactly.

mikesinner
12-04-2011, 07:39 PM
and you would be better off giving a gift card or something, than a game that no one but me wants to play.

I'm thinking of giving out two $25 walmart gift cards next month.

mikesinner
12-17-2011, 07:51 AM
Bumping this. I'm going to try and rewrite a new post tomorrow.

JAI-LING
12-17-2011, 08:26 AM

tumblr sucks

AGREED

dizmo
12-17-2011, 11:47 AM
you got a couple of seconds to get a visitors attention, its not the visitors job to click links and read paragraphs and find out what the fuck its all about. that's YOUR job, as a marketer.
and yes, it is laziness etc, but that's not an excuse not to try! to get them to stay. You are losing ridiculous amount of traffic

dizmo
12-17-2011, 11:50 AM
I usually just say cancer or aids because it something people recognize
not sure what to think here.... feels like a thin line between you being a great guy, or just someone riding the bandwagon of deceases to make a buck. Im sure thats not the case, but the sentence above made it sound that way.

PMC
12-17-2011, 03:31 PM
not sure what to think here.... feels like a thin line between you being a great guy, or just someone riding the bandwagon of deceases to make a buck. Im sure thats not the case, but the sentence above made it sound that way.

I don't think he makes a penny from this, but I could be wrong.

dizmo
12-17-2011, 04:27 PM
ok, well like i said, then he is a great guy. fighting for a cause, and funding it.
makes me wanna stress even more my first reply.

ShiftyEyedBstrd
12-17-2011, 09:20 PM
This blog tells me nothing about how many jelly beans are in the jar.

dgchi
12-17-2011, 10:32 PM
This blog tells me nothing about how many jelly beans are in the jar.

you just brought back some bad memories

Reppy
12-17-2011, 11:25 PM

tumblr sucks

You should make a tumblr blog about why you're boycotting tumblr.