PDA

View Full Version : Are Long Distance Charges Just a Scam?

Aišo
12-27-2010, 01:10 AM
How is it I can talk to anyone in the world via Skype and the internet, or connect to a server in Hong Kong and download gigs of data, all for one price per month, but if I call any place international on a land phone I have to pay out the ass on top my phone bill? Don't phone lines and internet lines use the same fiber optic lines?

riddler
12-27-2010, 01:51 AM
I don't really see a need for long distance charges now a days, maybe 15 years ago when phone lines were the only form of transmission.

PurrsianPussyKat
12-27-2010, 01:57 AM
I guess if you're dumb enough to use a phone, they are going to keep right on raping you. lol
(not saying you are dumb, just people in general)

dgchi
12-27-2010, 02:03 AM
speaking of which, as google said what they are planning to do with gmail's long distance service in the new year? so far it has been free, and awesome

born2blog
12-27-2010, 02:49 AM
long distance charges are definitely a scam, have been for many years. There's no possible way it costs these companies even a small portion of what they've been charging customers for decades. Same with oil and gas, there's no shortage, but during holidays for example they up the price at gas stations stating there's a shortage LOL. Lot of crooks out there no doubt!

same old bullshit, just a different day

iggysick
12-27-2010, 04:45 AM
Anyway did you know that there's isn't difference between calling my neibour and town 500 miles from mine on my telephone bill? We pay same price for all calls!

facialfreak
12-27-2010, 12:13 PM
Some people don't adjust to change well, and these old companies that once held monopolies know it too - they bank on it!

My grandmother had a rotary dial Bell telephone until the day she died ... and Bell even had to re-install pulse dialing on her line, because when they changed our town service to tone dialing, her phone no longer worked. They offered her a tone dialing push button phone upgrade, and she refused it, just for the fact that they were trying to force her to upgrade ... and her rotary dial phone worked perfectly fine ... She held her ground with Ma Bell, and before the end of the week, a technician was up her pole re-installing the pulse dial service for her.

I have another friend who has been online as long as I have, and he bought his domain through NetSol, for $70 for 2 years - the minimum you could buy a domain for back then ... and to this day still pays them $109 a month to have NetSol host his simple e-commerce website.

I have told him that for what he pays monthly, I would be able to host him for an entire year, and he keeps telling me "Yeah, I know ... I should probably switch to your hosting ..." but he keeps paying NetSol $109 a month to host his site ...

And exhibit C ... One of my very first hosting clients back in 1998 - A funeral home, using less than 2GB per month - is still very content to send me a check for $65 a month to manage his account ... even though he has no email addresses, seldom updates (maybe two paragraphs once a year), and the only time I hear from him, is when I courtesy call him ever 3-4 months ...

Some people are just creatures of habit, and if they do not want to shop around for a better price for their long distance, you can't really call it a scam ... since there is no deceit going on.

baddog
12-28-2010, 03:20 AM
Not a scam. If you want to use copper, someone has to pay for it.